Requirements for 10 gallon tank

jason

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I have a 10 gallon tank, fairly large gravel substrate, several fish, and plastic plants.  I would like to try some live plants.  Here are my questions:

1) Can you effectively change out the gravel with a plant friendly substrate?  Or should I just wait for my next tank?

2) At what point does CO2 injection become necessary?  Could I do OK without it with just a couple live plants?

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
what kind of gravel do u have? usually any type of gravel will work. the problem with changing your substrate is that it'll affect the biological setup of your tank. so if you decide to change it, change like 30% of it first then wait a few days or weeks and then change the rest and so on. that way you'll avoid a shock to your tank.

co2 depends on your lighting. if you have over 2.5watts, i would suggest c02. also really depends on the type of plant u want. plants such as javamoss, anubias etc dont' really need c02 injection.

ajfish

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I agree with the earlier post. And about your gravel, if its the large marble type of gravel, its will be hard to plant your plant and if you do manage to it wont grow to well. I would just wait for your next tank, because like the prevoius post mentioned youll disrupt your biological setup if you change the gravel in your already established tank.