reflections on light

PCFishGuy

Medium Fish
Dec 25, 2008
Port Charlotte Fla
anyone here know of, possess knowledge of, or can point me towards
a good source for reflector design. not looking to squeeze every last lumen out of a given bulb, but would like to be somewhat close.

Inf i feel i need is preferred distance from bulb to reflector surface

how far should reflector extend below 90* axis of a bulb to optimize Critical angle

am thinking a simple parabolic or arc reflector. while i realize this may not optimize the reflective light it should certainly get me in the area for next to no cost.

My thought was to use a large diameter PVC pipe cut in half.
Line it with aluminum foil, mount bulb at a point that would achieve most light reflected down towards water surface.

lights that are planned for use are 1 24" and 2 18"

Tank is a semi odd configuration corner tank, 24" to a side, and 24" deep.
The front side is offset 8" each side @ 90* from each side then approx 26" across the front. ( this makes it a 5 sided corner tank )
picture it like a Diamond with the point in the corner

My goal is to achieve between 1.6 & 2.0 WPG for this tank while staying below 70.00 total cost for lighting. Addition goals are simple to maintain, long life bulbs and low replacement costs. lets just say T8 bulbs to make it all simple.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Not to burst your bubble, but you can get just the parabolic reflectors for a fairly good price here: A H Supply - Easy Ordering . These are made with the PC bulb in mind, so I don't know how well it would work compared to reflectors made for T8's, or if there would be a lot of difference. I'll have to ponder on this some, and in the mean time we'll wait for Avalon to sneak up and grace us with some wisdom. :)

PCFishGuy

Medium Fish
Dec 25, 2008
Port Charlotte Fla
no bursting required, the reflectors from AH will suit my needs for my 55g rectang. tank, the problem is the 50g tank, due to it's unique shape.

from a top down view it looks like a diamond upside down, the bottom point being a 90* angle that goes into the corner

or another way to look at it is as a 24" cube with two ajoining sides cut off 8" from the corner, then a straight face between the 2 cut off sides. This yeild 5 sides ( 2 very short ones ) manufact, calls it a pentagon corner tank