Red Wag SwordTail Fry

richy0708

Small Fish
Aug 21, 2007
Oregon
So i went to PetCo and bought a pretty plump female redwag swordtail (livebearer). Then came home and searched when i should seperate her, i searched, and one place said its ok to seperate her well befor she is due, and also her tummy was looking a bit more on the sqaurish side another clue i searched, plus i could see there kool little eyes. So i decided to seperate her after all that research. Then around 3 am( im a night owl) i noticed one fry was at the bottom of the breeding contraption, then i saw another one, but.. it didnt last long. momy got hungry. You can tell when shes about to pop one out, when near her anal fin where they come out *wink* it starts to get a little biger and come outwards like its swelling up then the little fry comes out in ball and gives it self a little spring and kinda unravles it self 1 or 2 came out at a time for me 3 at one time. So after a good hour of watching, I released her back into the aqaurium befor she could get to any other fry when they decided to spring up through the seperator. There are a bout, a tatal of 30+ maybe 38'ish if she didnt eat some. So then I took out the seperator and observed them. Most of them just sat at the bottom but a couple where swimming. So i turned off the light and went to bed. Then when i woke up all of them were up and swimming no more laying at the bottom, i read you should take some flake food in baggy and make it into powder just by your fingers rubbing it together kinda. so i sprinkled a bit in there but i think there mouths were to small >< i think pple recomend the liquid stuff but i havent thought of that.

So its the first day with my fry. The outside fish keep trying to get to them lol >< whats the use of giving birth if your just gana eat them. *sigh* a 1.5sec life.

Heres a link to my photo bucket if you want to see them, I just uploaded a video too. dont let the outside fish confuse you after shes delivers it. its real quick so watch carefully.

richy0708 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I hope this helps anyone out there, im not a expert, just telling my story and hope it helps others some how.*PEACE!*

Last edited:

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Well, my goodness, look at them! *thumbsups Nice photos, richy0708! Good luck raising them and congrats on a nice large group of fry! I wish my swords would have some fry :( see, I have them in my brackish tank along with my figure 8 puffers, and I want them to get eaten! ;) But mom and dad sword just arent all that "into" each other I guess. Heh Heh. No babies yet.

richy0708

Small Fish
Aug 21, 2007
Oregon
Thnx, yes theres like 30+ i guess thats a lot?*twirlysmi it was weird seeing them pop out then her turn around and eat them :eek: :mad: lol, thnx again

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2012
Liquid Fry Food.

*thumbsups Congrats on your success. I have yet to have success with Live bearers. However I have had extreme success with Rosy Barbs. I know they are Egg layers but their fry are a lot smaller. I made up a paste with a few drops of water from the main tank mixed with flakes. They thrived off that for months. I just used a Child's medicine syringe to add 1 drop of the made up Liquid/paste to the tank every 2nd day. :D;):D I wish you continued success in your future breeding