Red-Top Hongi breeding info PLEASE LOOK

Jun 11, 2011
Canada
I walked into my tank room last night and saw my two supposed male red top hongi's chasing each other around the tank. Me and my girlfriend watched the two hongi's chase and then start the 'dance'. It was weird to see because we thought that we had two males like i said before. I jus wanna know, do males circle each other and "imitate" the breeding dance?? or do i in fact have a mated pair of fish?? And if i do have a pair. how long does the female have to 'hold' the eggs?? I plan on seperating "her" if they have indeed mated. Please, ANY info would be great, or any experience with males doing this behaviour or ANYTHING. Thanks

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I have had African and NW cichlid males do the same thing until they figure it all out. It not uncommon at all. You still can have a mated pair, it can be hard to tell for sure until you see proof. Personally I think my Africans are just horny, gay, or both because they do this all the time.

Jun 11, 2011
Canada
No I haven't got that fish ID'd yet. I am waiting for him/it to grow a bit more before I put some more pics up. I have noticed some color changes going on, so I still think its a male. But, time will tell. Hopefully!! Lol

Oct 18, 2011
peoria il
im sure by now you have figured this out but i just wanted to add that everyone says the male is full of color when in fact i have 7 of these fish and my females are so colorful its unreal when my males are manly a purple color with red fins my males do the dance with eachother but they are just fighting for the female once one stops the other then chaces my females and then in about 3 or 4 weeks i have babies from the females who are the colorful ones i love these fish and breed them all the time they are my number 1 sellers

Jun 11, 2011
Canada
So, the female one i have that is chasing EVERYBODY around, acting like a terrorist?? And the male is the one that is hiding like a b*tch?? I havent gotten any fry, only from a white lab(only lab in the tank) female. She is holding as we speak actually. Im not sure who she bred with though. ah well, feeders for the tank. lol. I wonder what that would look like thought, a red top hongi X white lab??? If any of them survive, I'll post pic's. Lol