red-tailed catfish, ALSO not for the home aquarium

A_Live

New Fish
Oct 16, 2008
Yeah, I LOVE catfish and the redtails are my fav., if I could get one in my 220gal, I would, but it's just not an option... I'd love to setup a pond system for one of these bad boys, but I don't have the money to heat a huge pond... even my 4500gal pond system just woulden't be enough if it were heated.
I may be wrong but I think you wont be able to buy cat fish in aquarium store pretty soon. I'll have to look into where I read it but someone started a movement to have them removed from stores because inmost cases people don't know now to care for them when they out grow their tank and the fish eventually die.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
I may be wrong but I think you wont be able to buy cat fish in aquarium store pretty soon. I'll have to look into where I read it but someone started a movement to have them removed from stores because inmost cases people don't know now to care for them when they out grow their tank and the fish eventually die.
All catfish??? Or just the large ones?

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I see no issues with housing catfish of any kind. that is as long as u have the room for them to grow to frying pan size lol. all jokes aside I can agree with not selling large catfish breeds. even channel catfish can get 3 feet long and 20 pounds. largest catfish I'd suggest would be a bullhead (12 inches long, up to 2 pounds). even in most cases they get to big for anything less then a 55 gallon.