Red Spot on Head

Aug 24, 2011
Hello,

My goldfish Pudgie has a red spot on the side of his wen that developed overnight; he is still eating normally and seems to be acting okay but I don't have a great deal of experience with this type of injury/illness. I was wondering if anyone could identify and/or recommend treatment for this ailment. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
sparkynixon

P.S. Sorry about the quality of the pictures...

Attachments

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Its hard to say from those pics, What is your water change schedule? Gold fish are DIRTY fish. I change 50% of my gold fish tank weekly. I am not saying this is the cause!!! Just a suggestion to keep your favorite buddy healthy. Have you tested your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? What are the levels of the test for each one? This could be a water quality issue or an impact injury but, like I said its hard to tell from the pic. Are any of his scales raised or inflamed?

Aug 24, 2011
KcMopar
Its hard to say from those pics, What is your water change schedule? Gold fish are DIRTY fish. I change 50% of my gold fish tank weekly. I am not saying this is the cause!!! Just a suggestion to keep your favorite buddy healthy. Have you tested your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? What are the levels of the test for each one? This could be a water quality issue or an impact injury but, like I said its hard to tell from the pic. Are any of his scales raised or inflamed?

He gets at least a 20% water change every week. He has an oversize filter on the tank (20 gallon) and is the only fish in the tank. His one true love is food (Hikari Lionhead blend) which he gets a handful or so of every day. The only thing I can think of is maybe he hit his head on the bottom part of the filter as he likes hanging out underneath it sometimes...he seems in no other way affected by this ailment appetite still good, swimming normally...no scales raised or inflamed. When I first saw it on him there was actually white matter coming out of the area; it looked like blood (or pus?) coming out of a wound if a human were underwater and got cut except it was white. I was thinking if this was caused by a higher ammonia level-established tank-wouldn't it cause problems all over his body and not just in a single place?

I have Melafix and went and got some Erythromycin today that I was thinking about treating him with just in case (haven't yet treated him with anything...). We are moving this weekend too so I am trying not to stress him out unnecessarily as I am sure the move will stress him out...

I appreciate suggestion(s) and time.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
What size tank is it? When you say a "handful or so a day" are you really meaning a handful?
With higher ammonia levels (which are always dangerous for fish) it doesn't necessarily affect the whole body rather it can make them more vulnerable to other aliments/diseases.

I would suggest your increase your water changes to 50% a week and reduce the amount of food (if it's really a handful). Try that for a week or two and see if the dot reduces.
Water changes are always good when dealing with sick fish. Do you have a test kit? It would be interesting/helpful to know the exact readings of ammonia, nitrate and nitrite in your tank.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Its probably just an impact mark. Keep an eye on it, and do more %age of water change to be safe and get your exact ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. I would not medicate just yet. IF your water is at pristine levels and it gets worse then I would but, I do not think its anything more then an impact mark. Just watch him close. When you make the move only remove about 50-75% water from his tank and put the filter media in the water. This should make it so the tank does not re-cycle. After the move keep an eye on the water parameters daily.

Aug 24, 2011
Pudge's Head

The area seems to be decreasing in size so I do not think I will end up medicating him at all. I had planned on keeping at least 50% of his water and keeping the media in it. I was planning on putting him in an ice chest to move him as he is larger than will fit in a baggie and he may have to stay in whatever I move him in for a couple of hours...I am afraid if I put him in just a bucket with no lid he will try and jump out especially if he is startled. I do have a test kit somewhere but it is packed :( Any suggestions on moving him, or any other ideas as to what to move him in? (He is only traveling 4 blocks or so.)

Thanks again guys!

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
A cooler works great for moving fish! People have moved them across country that way. Coolers are generally easier to carry than tubs because of the handles. Your only going 4 blocks - you could almost carry him in a bucket, lol! He will be safe and the temp will not be a problem.