Red Devil

Oct 22, 2002
Bend, OR
www.zealotron.com
Well depending on which fish you actually mean.

Red Devil? Amphilophus labiatum
or Red Terror? Amphilophus festae

whichever way you go, you're talking about a serious tank buster - over 12" full grown, and a mean streak a mile wide. You'll need a tank well over 100 gallons.

Cool looking fish though :)

Last edited:

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
No prob Krazed . . . keep us posted on what you decide.

Personally, I found the fish pretty interesting and if I had the $$$$$ and luxury of tying up a BIG tank with only one fish I might consider it.

Fred

jakano

Small Fish
Mar 5, 2003
columbus, ohio
Visit site
yes the red devil is probably the most aggressive south/central american cichlid there is.i have had most every kind of south americans at one point or another and the only thing that came close to a red devil was a maneguense or jaguar cichlid and even those would be iffy to put with a red devil.the red devel will destroy every living thing in the tank with it. when they are small you could maybe put several of them together i did for a while but as they grew so did their aggresion levels. they are a very unique and beautiful fish though.and i did enjoy having them.

Jeanna

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2004
Visit site
I have a Red Devil in a 120gal. tank. He is one bad son of a gun!!!!!! I do love him alot, they are fun to watch because they rearange the tank how they want it, so he's always busy. But, he chases everyone around,(Convicts and my Dempsey,) luckily they are fast enough to get away, or they would be toast!!!!!! I tried to put my Green Terror in with him...... NOT a good idea, needless to say my GT is in a 65gal with only one other little Sunburst (I think) chiclid.
But, if you're gonna get one, like everyone else said, plan on having a big tank, and not too many fish can go in with him when he gets mature, other then that, they are very interesting fish, I just love mine.....
Good luck on whatever you decide.
Jeanna