Red Claw Crab: DEAD or MOLTING (pics included)

edaskalos

Large Fish
Aug 4, 2004
Anchorage, AK
Visit site
Alrighty so I brought home this little guy on Saturday and he was very active going all over his new 29G home. He even got up into my Eclipse hood to hang out for a bit on a couple of occasions. Yesterday he started just wanting to hang out on the coloseum ruin instead of exploring. I noticed a couple days ago also that his lower carapace "trap door" was open where these crabs will exit upon molting. As of about 14 hours ago he has been laying at the very back middle of the tank upside down with his trap door hanging open. I have had these guys previously and had them shed and believe I saw this as molting behavior. He hasn't budged now in 14 hours in this position. Is he dead, dying, or molting? PLEASE ADVISE! :eek:

[see attached images for reference]

Attachments

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Are you sure that's not just the empty exoskeleton? I would think that it would be strange for one to molt in what looks like more out in the open there. If he/she's still in there it might be dead. I might give it some time and make sure that other fish aren't picking on it as I'm sure you know that when they molt they are very vulnerable.

Dec 20, 2009
i think mine might be dead... it doesnt move and its a bit discolored. i tried poking at it and it doesnt move its just there, i noticed it yesterday and its been in the same position since then... how do i know if its dead, or how long should i wait to take it out?

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I dont know about red claw crabs molting but I know the fiddlers eat their exoskeleton after they molt.

dont quote me on this but I think these crabs are actually brackish and should have access to land, I believe keeping them completely submerged in freshwater will cause premature death.

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
Brian you're absolutely right there. I worked at my LFS for a while and we got a huge shipment of these every week from Thailand, and they went in the brackish section in half-filled tanks decorated with "islands" of driftwood. It was quite common for them to spend most of their time on the driftwood and even climbing up the undergravel filter tube.

As the others said, check the shell isn't empty, as he may have molted and hid. However, I don't think the tank is suitable for it long term they shouldn't be kept with fish, they should be kept in a paludarium with brackish water and plenty of land space.