Red Belly Piranhas

mason

New Fish
Mar 2, 2008
well im new to this fourm so il start with that, i picked up 5 Red Belly Piranhas , i know a little about them but not much, i keep the tank at 80 feed them feeder fish, but they dont seem to eat much i was thinking it was the change of the enviorment, i was wondering how often they would need to be fed , how often i should clean the tank , and what would be good for then there not that entergetic , i know they are light sensitive but even in the dark they dont swim much, any comments would be appreciated

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
What size tank are you keeping them in? How old are they and how long have you had them? It sounds like you don't have the means to test your water. Could you take a sample to a local fish store and have it tested. Do not let them say 'it's fine', get them to write down all the numbers and bring them back and post them here.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
hmmm..i dont know much about piranhas. But heres a few questions that may help others answer yours

1) how long as the tank been running
2)what are the water params..nitrate,nitrite, ammonia, etc.? Aslo do you have a water test kit?
3) Figure on doing 25% water changes weekly
4)how big is the tank
I know that piranhas are not as aggressive feeders that they are made out to be and will commonly allow feeders to live in there tank.
Feeders from the petstores are commonly carriers of parasites and disease, i would recommend buy a live bearer and producing your own feeder.

Welcome to the tank..

mason

New Fish
Mar 2, 2008
these fish are a day old, do not have a water testing kit and as for the tank i am not shure how big it is here are some pics and by buying a live bearer you mean ? breed fish?

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
hmmm...get the dimensions and i can help you out with size. when did you fill the tank? Did you cycle the tank, i am guessing you didnt since you dont have a water test kit.

Yes live bearers are fish such as mollies, guppies, platy's, swordtails. They breed like rabbits and produce live young that would allow you to have a home grown safe food supply.

I would recommend buying a API master freshwater test kit. They are not that expensive and well worth the money.

mason

New Fish
Mar 2, 2008
the dimensions are 20 inches across 19 inches deep top to bottom

filled the tank yesterday , im going to get one of the water test kits tomoro

and bearers, id get a dozen and let them breed? how long would it take?

sweetpickles7

Superstar Fish
Feb 13, 2007
Central Illinois
Sorry, more in depth here. Yes i would suggest getting a much larger tank, anywhere from 90-125. Your fish will get anywhere from 8-12 inches, each. I also would go against just feeding them fish as that isnt a good source of nutrition. I would also add pellets to the mix, im not saying not to feed them fish just mix it up alittle. I would also drop the temp alittle, say about 76-78. Is that better brian?

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
ty sweetpickles, see you had quite a bit of useful info there..lol

Mason..your going to have problems, you have not even began to cycle yet. look for missfishy under the members and click on the link under her name.

If you are not able to provide the size tank sweet recommended in 6 months or so you may want to take the piranha back and let your tank cycle then get fish that you can accomadate with what you have

And dont be put of by our comments because alot of us have made these same beginner mistakes.

Last edited:

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Actually they need a MUCH bigger tank then that even when they get full grown. They are 'tank busters'. Monsterfish.com has info on them iirc.

mason

New Fish
Mar 2, 2008
your all very wise and helpful thank you, so. by cycleing a tank you mean get rid of the fish put in pure 100% ammonia let that sit for a week with the tep at 85 , then test the water ammonia decreses and the Nitrate will increase
then wait for both ammonia and nitrate to reach 0 so it will be safe?

but id i keep the fish in the tank the ammonia will kill them, why is that?

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
you want 0 ammonia 0 NITRITES and Nitrates to be about 5 to 20..will take anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks. The ammonia will burn the gills of the fish and they will basically suffer a painful death of suffocation and with large amounts of ammonia they will probably die very quickly.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Ah I was thinking of the Pacus as tank busters.

Still Mason I HIGHLY recommend doing a lot of very throughal research while you're cycling your tank about what you can and should put in it. It's way too tiny for your guys.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
We totally want you to have a happy, healthy tank that you're going to enjoy. A LOT of people make the exact same mistakes in the begining, that's how most of us have gotten here initially. :)

Monster Fish Rescue Website

This web site has more information about fish commonly sold that grow huge or have higher demands then most people are prepared for. Mostly because the fish stores do NOT educate people properly about their needs for various reasons - they are businesses. Ultimately the onus falls on the fish keeper to know what they're getting into.

Piranha
The piranha is often found in the hobby
because of it’s reputation of a
fearsome predator, the piranha is a lot
more subtle than many think. Never the
less, the piranha is very present in the
hobby. Able to reach sizes of up to 14
inches, not to mention preferring to live
in schools, few owners of this animal
can actually care for it properly. I would
recommend a tank of at least 100
gallon for a school of four to five