red bellied pirhana

handse

New Fish
May 6, 2007
hi just signed up and wornderd if anyone can help me. i have had 3 pirhana for about 4 months even though they seem helthey they never venture out of their hinding places and they wont feed if i am in the room. is there a way i can get them to be a bit more adventures. thanks

Dino

Large Fish
Mar 3, 2007
90 degrees north
Welcome.

As a rule, they are skittish fish.
After all, they are just tetras.
It would help if they had plants to hide in or under.
I have also heard that blacking out all but ther front of the tank ( thru painting or backing) will help them calm down.

Whats the size of the tank?

They do better in larger groups, but also take up a lot of space as full grown fish.

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
well, i am guessing that you have the lights on most of the time.....am i right? they will feel much more secure and likely to venture around the tank with the lights off. well thats what my fish taught me anyway. as Dino stated cover will help as well. my RBPs had the tendency to destroy fake plants, and i would recomend a submerged shelf over a small portion of the tank like around 1/4 of the tank and about halfway down. this gives them a good place to hide when they get spooked. also you want to keep the tank in a low traffic area. hallways and next to chairs or anywhere you go frequently is not the best place for a RBP tank. they will flip out all the time. the only time i turn on the light is for tank cleaning. i have had my fish for several years and when that light comes on they scoot to the other side of the tank, i do my thing and turn the other hood light on and shut the first one off, they swich sides, and i finish the other side of the tank. i haven't had a fright response during gravel vacuming in some time. also, you need at least a 55 gal for 3 RBPs. when they get full grown it will get crowded in there and if you don't plan to upgrade you may lose one to stunting or aggression from the other fish. just try to be patient, it was at least 4-5 months before i ever saw my fish eat.

djb3848

Small Fish
May 27, 2007
Palos Hills, IL
i use to have rbp's.. i bought them really small and they grew to about 5.. 5 1/2 inches.. cost to much to feed nine of them.. (according to the fiance anyway). they always destroyed everything i put into the tank.. probably with 9 in their they felt secure.. its a 100 gallon tank.. im growing up red devils now..

Derek