recommeded cleaner?

Barry J

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Does anyone have any recommendations on a better way to clean a 15 gal high aquarium than the old siphon/gravel cleaner? I feel that I don't have enough time to remove all the gravel gook while changing water. I'm thinking about removing 1/3 of the water and then placing one of those filter bags over the end of the smaller end of the siphon to not remove more water (leaving both ends of the siphon in the aquarium) but removing the gook.

Since I remove all the fish and 'stuff' (driftwood, plants, slate rock) when I do the cleaning, I really don't feel like doing it more tahn every 2-3 weeks.

Anyone have a product to recommend? Thanks in advance

Barry

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
you remove all your fish when you clean? i'm sure u can leave the fish in there when u do that. save you some effort.

but for cleaning. have you thought about using a python? it's great for sucking out gunk and water..and the cool thing it goes in reverse. it fills up your tank also. so no more carrying buckets of water.

Barry J

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have considered a Python, but I thought it might be overkill for a 15 gal. It might be worth it just for the fill feature, though!  :D

scrimman

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.caprok.net
Re: Whats a python?

a Python is:
a) a rather large snake (sorry. couldn't resist);D
b) a nifty plastic device you attach to a faucet that either helps to syphon or fill a fish tank in no time (depending on how you have the valve/switch thingy arranged).  The first one I ever used was actually ment for filling/draining waterbeds.

R

ronrca

I just bought a python and Im very glad I did! Water changes started to take up my Saturday mornings and my wife hated that because I was suppose to be working on the yard. Now, I can change 10-15% of the water in my 90G in under an hour (which took about 2 hours before). The same goes for my 30G and 10G! I love it! ;D Its worth it no matter how big or small your tank is. No more pails!

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Make sure you get the Python , and not a immitator brand. My mother-in-law has the imitator brand cause it was cheaper, and it doesn't suck as well.

Python is very nice and easy.