real plants/crud in gravel question

Oct 22, 2002
I was sure whether to post this question here or in the plants section.

Anyway: I would like to 86 the plastic plants in my 15 gal high tank and replace them with the real McCoy. My only concern is that when I vacuum the gravel now, I bring up a considerable amount of gook. I am worried that having real plants would keep me from removing this stuff, because I'm worried about injuring their roots during the cleaning or by removing them beforehand.

First, is the gravel gook that harmful in the first place? Do I really need to concentrate on removing it during the water changes (about every 3 weeks). Second, what would be the best method for cleaning the gravel if I have numerous plants in it? If I ahve the plants, I'm worried the gook will build up with the ability to clean the gravel.

I have 6 neon tetras, 4 platies (and now about 7 babies - going to have to set up a nursery tank! ;D ), and 2 cory cats. Am I feeding them too much - is that was some of the gook is?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Barry

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Lets go over some things first.

Lets talk about lighting.

What lighting do you have ? Or what watt bulb(s) are you using?
 This will determine which plants you will want. The more watts of light the better.

Make sure you have not too high nitrates. This can cause some unwanted algae to grow on the plants.

The gunk, is dietrus and leftover food ect. that ends up in the gravel. You do want to get this out.
 When I started to add a few Amazon Swords to my one tank, I wondered about Vacuuming as well. To my surprise, I didn't need to vaccum near the plants. They started to use it, the gunk. I did  keep vaccuming, where the plants were not. SO when the roots start to adsorb what is in the gravel, you will need to vaccum less.

You may want to add some basic liquid supplement, and possably some plant tabs with iron once you decide what plants you want.

Hope that helps for now.

;)

Oct 22, 2002
Thanks for the reply. I am using a Eciplse 1 system, with a 4000k 18" flourescent bulb. With a 15" high, I would like to have taller plants in the back to provide a backdrop. Something like anacharis.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Your buld is most likely 15 watts at 18 inches. Not too much light there. I am guessing there isnt space for another light, unless you Do it yourself??? ..or have to spend money for a custom light kit.

So..going with what you have I found Anacharis hardy, and grows without much light. Java fern and moss do as well. I don't know what your LFS would carry.

Check this link, to see what your LFS , or whomever you are getting plants from carries to see if they require higher levels of lighting.
http://www.tropica.dk/plants.htm

IMO, it is easier to have some plants, then none.

I bought some Anacharis to line the back of one of my 55's. It kinda went nuts in 2 weeks. I am going to have to throw a few feet away or find someone to take it.