Re: Corner Tank

Oct 22, 2002
if you use enuff live rock..you may not the canister, except for some mechanical filtration..full spectrum and blue actinic lighting..and you should be all set..and corner tanks are real cool looking..fell in luv with one at my lfs..good luck  ;D

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Corner tanks are awsome and so are saltwater tanks so your gonna have one of the coolest tanks of all! Why didn't you put this in the salwater section?
???

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Simply put corner tanks s u c k for reef. They are hard to light. You should not start out trying to do a reef tank, regardless of fresh experience. Your reef tank will crash, and you'll be disappointed when a few hundred $ of livestock dies. Also never ever cut corners on a reef tank, it always will cost you more in the long run. Sterilizer is a big no on a reef and is debateable on a fish only tank. Canisters, fluidized bed filters and wet drys are all nitrate factories.

FO -

Tank
Stank
Light
Skimmer
Powerheads
Heater
Aragonite sand
Live rock w/ tufa (for biofiltration and refuge)

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Couldn't hey use metal halide or pc lighting? That is simple enough.

I used pourous rock under the live. Worked perfect and they became live. After a year or so it was hard to tell which was which.

What is wrong with a UV? ???

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=clothahump link=board=saltwater&num=989100062&start=0#10 date=05/12/01 at 14:07:20]
Barb, what is PC lighting,halide I know, Mercury vapour I know, but PC????
I have had along talk with some one who has 4 reefs set up and he has assured me it is no problem to set up, just needs good management. 8)
[/quote]

PC = Power Compact fluorescents.

Anyways... because of the odd shape of the tank, regardless of the light source, they tank will light unevenly. When you stack your live rock, it will be more vertical than horizontal, meaning it will take a lot of live rock for the tank, with very little lit surface area for the corals.

A UV kills every free floating organism in the water, they will not reproduce. The creatures in most reef tanks diets consists solely of these creatures.

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=ryanp14 link=board=saltwater&num=989100062&start=0#13 date=05/12/01 at 16:28:57]
OBK I agree Africa is not a country but were does that come from? Did someone say it was?

Cloth are you going to make it a reeftank anyways???
[/quote]

In the quiz, I got one wrong, because it asked which country... then it listed continents, including australia, which is a country. I choose australia, and I was wrong, because it was a country :)

Ryan, scroll up the page slowly, the answer to th tank is probably at a later date.
[quote author=ryanp14 link=board=saltwater&num=989100062&start=0#13 date=05/12/01 at 16:28:57]
OBK I agree Africa is not a country but were does that come from? Did someone say it was?

Cloth are you going to make it a reeftank anyways???
[/quote] 8)

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Intresting Owned,

You are on to something there. My buddy is using a UV and it's main reason I am guessing for him is to zap the free floating algae, or any parasites, but yes it would zap the micro orgs that the filter feeder would use.

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=MaleRubyBarb link=board=saltwater&num=989100062&start=15#16 date=05/12/01 at 22:04:45]
Intresting Owned,

You are on to something there. My buddy is using a UV and it's main reason I am guessing for him is to zap the free floating algae, or any parasites, but yes it would zap the micro orgs that the filter feeder would use.

[/quote]

It will kill algae, but it also amphipods and copepods, which are the staple diet of most reef fish, and mobile inverts. Filter feeding sessile inverts eat smaller organisms, which will be killed by the UV. Marine ich, the most common parasite, is usually not controlled by UV, because of the nature of its lifecycle. It spends nearly all its time either on its host or in/ the substrate, therefore the UV cannot kill it.