RBP spawning update

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
well, i have seen lots of "dancing" and strong aggression from the male, but no eggs yet. the female is suffering fin loss and damage just behind the gill plate. i'm just below 80 on temp. going to try to raise the temp some more for a couple of weeks, but if the female takes a lot of damage i will have to turn it back down and let her heal up. they are giving all the signs of spawning but no luck yet.

suggestions?

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
sorry guys, i don't have a d-camera yet. i theres one at work i can get a hold of, but it's pretty old and the pics kinda suck without trying to take pics through aquarium glass. (and even if i had a good one i still learned how to post a pic yet) it's ok, you can laugh. anyway.....i believe that they spawn in the wild just before the rainy season. it's the temp that sets them off (80-82). i tried it when i had 3 and they tried to kill themselves. few years later after loseing one, i was turning the AC off in my house during the day to try to conserve energy and they successsfully spawned. caught me completely off gaurd. the fry did hatch but i lost them all because i was stupid and had gravel in the fry tank. live and learn. doing a water change and turning the temp up tonight.