.:: Random Death? ::.

K5Rita

New Fish
Aug 31, 2011
Oregon
Yesterday I bought a female Betta to breed with my male. I bought her at Petco. I bought her because she was very active and seemed more healthy then the rest. Well I brought her home (and thank god I bought a seperate bowl for her.) and introduced her to the water right. The temp was the right condition. The chemical balance was also perfect. When I bought her I also bought a flower for her to hide under (trying to create their natural enviroment) last night and this morning she was very lively and seemed fine. I had not fed her yet seeing as I just bought her and I wanted her to get on the same feeding schedule as my male. When I got home from work tonight she was belly up under her flower. The flower did not block her from rising to the top to get oxygen. I checked out her little fish body and I didn't see anything wrong with her (no ich or anything). Just curious how a healthy acting Betta could die so quick speacially when the water is perfect?
Taking her little fish body back tomorrow to get a re-fund... or atleast a new female.[/
I]

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
You do not say exactly what perfect water is - the readings for ammonia, (0) nitrite (0) and nitrate (20ppm), but of course a random death is very possible. Bettas are pretty hardy fish, they obviously live in those little cups for weeks. Although some may not agree with me, I have noticed that because they are so use to being kept in a tiny area, some bettas are really stressed out for several days when put into a larger area. I think they just feel insecure until they adapt. That does not mean they get so stress they die, they just don't move around much for a while.

K5Rita

New Fish
Aug 31, 2011
Oregon
Was The flower real or fake . Becasue i know some employes try to sell you this flower that they say it would go fine with the Betta and it ends up killing the fish because the bettas nibble at it

It was a fake one... but I think I am going to toss it anyways.. I am actually getting ready to head to town now to get a new female. But I want to start my female bowl new.. so whatever the last one had will not transfer to the new female.

Jul 18, 2011
underwater

It was a fake one... but I think I am going to toss it anyways.. I am actually getting ready to head to town now to get a new female. But I want to start my female bowl new.. so whatever the last one had will not transfer to the new female.
Lol, this might sound like a derp response, but did you forget to put in water conditioner? I only say this because it COULD happen.

Next time you should drip acclimate your betta and get the prettiest but least expensive one as possible that way you won't lose as much $$$ as a $10 betta.

(My betta was 14.99 lol)