Rams and Discus

Disco

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hello,
     I've been keeping cichldis for so long but I dont know this one. I have 2 pigeon blood discus in my planted 20 gallon tank. I know that when theyre adults, they cant just live in this small tank so I'm planning on just keeping them and putting them in at leat 29 gallons. Back to my question now- can I keep rams with my discus? I heard that they are good carriers of parasites- is this true? What level of success will I have with them?

D

discusaquarium

sure you can keep rams with your discus. rams in fact are one of the most popular tankmates with discus. as for the parasites - i would disagree with it. the only way rams could carry parasites is if they were raised in water filled with them. rams are GREAT tankmates for discus! i have 3 myself in my 55 gallon tank with some of my discus in there.

R

ronrca

I also have my rams with my Discus! I think I made a mistake by putting male and female ram together. She layed eggs within 9 days from her last time. She is very "active" I guess. She has now layed eggs 3 times within 1 month. Now I have lots of fry.  ;D My lfs will be happy I hope.

Disco

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Rather than starting another thread, I'll just post another question I have here. Discusaquarium, what's a good daily preventative to keep my discus' intestines clean and healthy? I heard brine shrimp does this , is this correct?

D

discusaquarium

i have never heard of the brine shrimp idea. i know for a fact that garlic will do it. if you make your own beefheart mixture, you can add a clove of garlic and this will keep them pretty clean. i have spoke of this with jack wattley, and i've also talked with many other breeders and they reccomend this also.

Disco

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
When adding the cloves, do I grind it to a powder or leave it whole? And should I also thaw it to a gel consistency (I bought plain frozen beefheart with nothing added)?

D

discusaquarium

if you are going to make your own beefheart, what you do is - when you are grinding up the pieces, you add the crushed garlic into the blender. that way when frozen, it is all intermingled with the beefheart and there is some garlic incorporated into the beefheart itself. i went to my local grocery store and had them order some beefheart for me. it ended up being pretty cheap. if you are thinking about adding garlic to prepared beefheart there is no real way to do that... :-/ but your discus should be fine without it. its not a necessity. if you really wish to add it to pre made beefheart, then let it thaw and mix in the garlic. not too much though!  :eek: garlic is pretty strong stuff.

D

discusaquarium

shouldnt hurt if you dont add too much, just make sure to remember that the beefheart is the most important ingredient in the mixture.

R

ronrca

Interestingly enough and also contradicting in a sense, is the beefheart subject. Normally fish eat what fish in the wild eat. I know that beefheart is a very good nutrient, mineral and vitamin source but is it really that realistic. I mean, the Discus dont regularily feed on the heart of a cow in the Amazon. I wonder with what they subsitutite beef heart in the wild. And then again, is it really neccessary to feed beefheart? Is there no alternate?

Disco

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
About your question roncra, I guess a good substitute for beefheart could be brine shrimp, if you have enough, lots of things could be, mixed with it.  I have another question regarding liquid- vitamins- man, this is turning out to be a discus forum! Today, I went to my LFS and got some kent Zoecon. I went home and started to mix some of it with my food. As I read the directions, it said to use it in combonation with kent ZOE. They said, "...Put food in small dish. Add one drop of kent Zoecon, and 4 drops of Kent Zoe, let sit for 5 minutes..." Until I get the zoe, will this be enough or can I up the dosage?

P.S.- Just a quick suggestion, can we set up a discus forum?

dork187

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Discus Forum

i think making a discus forum is an extremely good idea...
garlic...
my discus got cloudy eye and so my lfs guy told me i could use a pill medicine for it but that would be a hassle so i asked if there was anything else i could try and he showed me this product,
"garlic elixir" made by eco systems

http://www.marinepropagations.com/garlic_elixir_is_a_heart.htm

it is a daily diet additive and helps manage intestinal parasites
its not very cheap tho...20 bucks an oz
it totally reeks of garlic and in my experiaments with my discus, they seem to go after the food soaked in the elixir much faster then by itself
i havent tried the garlic by the clove in the mix but i will next time i mix up a batch

as for the idea that discus dont feed on beefheart in the wild... they also arent usually confined to a space of a few gallons either... i agree that we as aquariasts should strive to create a habitat that is as close to the natural habitat of the fish as we can but...we cant do everything. beef heart is something that the fish like and we have access too. if someone can go to the amazon and tell me exactly what the discus eat in the wild and then more importantly, bring me back a huge supply of those foods, i will glady feed that to my beloved discus. until then, i will do my best with the materials i have access to :)

Disco

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
When my discus get to be decent-sized sub-adults, I know theyre going to need a bigger tank than 20 gallons. I have a left over 40 gallon breeder (36x18x12), would two or more discus live okay in here?

dork187

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
if i am not mistaken...
40 gallons should be good for 2-3 discus
the rule of thumb i have read from numerous sources has been minimum 10 gallons per discus, probably less when if they don reach a full 8-10 inch size, and more for fish 10+ inches
but then again... i dont think its possible for a fish to have too much room.

Disco

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hey, you guys can check the new discus forum for my new question and then I'll shut up and stop asking so many questions! I really did do a lot of research before I got discus but I just like second oppinions 8)