R.I.P. J. Todd Smith

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
My red lyretail swordtail lost his fight with his bacterial fin rot or ich or whatever it was sometime last night. I'm pretty bummed about it.

This was my first loss in my 7 weeks of fishkeeping (not counting the fish I kept as a kid back when this hobby was completely different). He was my signature fish (or was going to be). I'm upset that I apparently misdiagnosed his problem; maybe he could have been saved if I'd bought him antibiotics earlier on.

Still, I learned a lot from him about fish in general and swordtails in particular. I intend to purchase another male lyretail swordtail if I can find one (before getting a couple of ladies for him sometime down the line). I just hope that my lessons learned from this first time around will allow me to keep my future swordtails happier.

Todd is survived by six gold pristella tetras, two emerald catfish and two ghost shrimp left. And, soon they'll have a nice new 29G home + a few new tankmates!

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
That's too bad Iapetus i'm sorry to hear it. Most of us learned the hard way about not having the right equipment on hand for our fishes when they needed it unfortunitly.