Questions About Saling White Mickey Mouse Platy

May 19, 2009
Hello, I started out with a male and female (mickey mouse platy) and didn't know at the time they were opposite sex. She's given birth now 3 times. I would feel terrible if I didn't place her in a breeding tank to try and save the babies but now I have way too many! The first time 5 lived, then only 1 lived the second time around and when she gave birth 3 days ago it was 16 and they're all thriving! I already have 2 neon tetra and 2 painted tetra. I only have a 10 gallon tank. I would love to have a bigger tank but I go away to school during my college semesters and they only allow tanks up to 10 gallons. So I can't get a bigger tank. I tried talking to the pet store I got them at about selling them and they said they can't buy any off me. I love the babies and I would hate to part with them but I do need to sell some. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could go about selling White Mickey Mouse Platies? I know I can't sell them right after they are born though. Is 2-3 months long enough to wait before selling?

Thanks *Platy*

May 15, 2009
Hi, I have been raising Platies only a short time, but I would think 3-4 months would be a more optimal time to sell them as they should be large enough by then to go with the large fish without fear of being eaten. My first female that gave birth had HUGE babies, which was quite surprising, but the others have been very tiny and I wouldn't trust trying to put them in with the larger fish without fear of them becoming "fish food". Hope this helps!