Questions about Fire Belly Newts.

Dec 20, 2009
Canada
Whats the best food to feed them?
How often should they be fed?
What tep. should the water be?
Can they be housed with a Betta or Fire Belly toad or both?
Is it ok for there to be a air stone in the water?
If you can house them with Bettas or Fire Belly toad can you have a air stone?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Hey, I know the answer to a couple of those questions.

I wouldn't do a firebelly toad/newt combination because the toads need more land area than the newts do and the toads are more likely to eat anything they can fit into their mouths, which includes the newts.

As for putting a firebelly newt with a betta...that would depend on the betta's personality. Some boys are fine with tankmates, others are not suited to a community-type tank at all. Also, bettas like high temps (one of my divided betta tanks sits at a steady 82F and the boys LOVE it!) while newts like lower temps (in the high 60s to low 70s).

I'm setting up a paludarium in my son's 29gal tank with a couple firebelly newts, an opaline gourami, some tiger barbs and some platies (as well as some cories eventually if they're ever on sale at Petsmart or Petco). It is filtered (right now has a DIY sponge filter...will eventually either have my Penguin 170 or a canister filter on it). From what I've read, newts of any type prefer clean, filtered water, the same as any other aquarium inhabitant. I wouldn't do just an air stone because newts spend the majority of their time in the water, thereby depositing their waste in the water and an air stone is not going to be enough to create the beneficial bacteria needed to keep the tank cycled and your ammonia levels at zero.

From what I've read about newts, they prefer bloodworms, earthworms, brine shrimp, daphnia, or tubifex cubes. They should be fed four to five times a week.

Water temperature should be on the cooler side, somewhere between 66-70F.

Here's a good link with info on firebelly newts:
Care of Fire Bellied Newts - Japanese and Chinese Fire Bellied Newts as Pets