Question about my Oranda....

Apr 10, 2005
Vancouver Island BC Canada
I have in a 10 gallon.... a 4" red cap oranda... 2 apple snails, a pl*co, and 3 feeder fish. At this time, the water perimeters are doing great, my temps get a little high in that room (between 78-82) but my HOB filter, etc... are all handling the load just fine.

I'm feeding them all a pinch of food in the am and pm, and a couple disk thingys that float to the bottom for the pl*co. I'm wondering if I'm feeding them enough? It seems that they are always hungry, there is hardly much of anything in the gravel when I syphon it each Sunday (opps I forgot to do it yesturday as I was out of town! LOL) but the pleco and the feeders have definately grown in the last 4 months.

The reason I'm unsure if the oranda is getting enough is because she spends ALL DAY picking up rocks into her mouth and spitting them out at the glass.... its this funny little ping noise that she does all the time LOL :)

Whats the deal with this oranda? Has she just found some new trick??

Thanks all

Sarah

and PS... A larger tank is cycling for these fish... the feeders will go to the pond this summer, and the oranda gets her own big tank to share likely with a few ADFs :)

Last edited:

ashleigh

Superstar Fish
Jan 8, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
I'm not a goldfish expert by any means, but I think that goldfish just do that. I know I have read of others whose fish do the exact same thing. I had goldfish when I was little and as I remember they are always hungry, but that doesn't mean they need to be fed. It sounds like you are doing just fine. Does that make sense?