Question about feeding a Clown Knife

Tim804

Small Fish
Nov 17, 2005
Hello all!!!!
I had recently got a clown knife and was wondering how long will it take for him to eat? I had him for about 2-3 days now and I understand that he needs to get comfortable in the tank. He does come out at night and seems comfortable and I tried some feeders, did not eat them. I also tried beefheart, feeding at night and the food was at the bottom of the tank in the morning.
Any info on ways to get him to eat (or what should I try) or will it happen with time?

He is approximately 4" long so im thinking he is still pretty young.

I also have 2 opalene gouramis and 2 kissing gouramis in the tank with the clown knife and everyone leaves the clown knife alone, so I dont think he is stressed.
Thanks,
Tim

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
bump.

Sorry I dont know much about clown knifes but I'd think like with any new fish I get I'd talk to the store I got it from and ask them if he was eating in the store and what they were feeding him. Sometimes you need to continue that for awhile and wean them onto whatever food you'd like to feed them. They'd probably adore some live food like bloodworms etc.

um...if he doesn't eat within a couple of weeks he'll starve to death...but fish can go quite awhile without eating, so dont count him out immediately.

Jan 13, 2006
My husband and i have a 100gallon and a 20 gallon. We have 2 clown knives and one of them eats flake food the other perfers live. Although i am nervous that we are fixing to loose both of them they are very sick looking. There eyes are cloudy and they are laying on the bottom of the take. We also have 6 AC's , snowflake eel, fresh water lobster,& albino catfish. the rest of the fish appear to be fine.

i have a clown knife and he's smaller than yours and i never see him eat. i feed all my fish twice a day once before i go to school and once around twilight. (more likeley to catch it eating at this time beacause they are nocturnal) i have a variety of fish so i put in some goldfish flakes some tropical flakes some goldfish crumbles a few freeze dried blood worms and an algae pellet for my pleco. man that took forever. but maybe you can try some of those and se what your clown knife likes. i reccomend turning out the lights and seeing what he eats. yours might be trained to flake food.