Quarantine Basics

Jan 19, 2006
one more thought on this what if I take all the water out of the main tank. Put new live sand, but keep the same filter componenets without cleaning .... do I have to worry about my tank cycling again?

just a thought?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
This is easier quoted and commented...

What I planned on doing was setting up the QT and using BIO spira to get the tank up and running <<Marine biospira? Else you're wasting your time>>. Then house my sea horse, cleaner shrimp, rock, crab and snails, I guess with the one fish in the QT<<Why the inverts?>>. Then I wanted to raise temp of main tank to like 84 deg <<why?>>and lower salt to 1014 <<waste of time, not low enough>>for like a week and also sift the sand as much as I can and hope I KILL the bumbs <<totally ineffecctive. You need to give this time>>. Then once I get my main back up to snuff return all the above to main . PS my inverts show no sign of sickness? Hmmmm.<<Why would they - it's a fish diesease. Have you caught ich from the fish - you're more physiologically similar, likely to get it>> Do you think that will do it? <<No>>Also should I change out my carbon filter after all this<<You should be changing it every 2 weeks anyway>>

One more thing I have an hawian anenome . If I transfer that to my nephews tank does it run a risk of taking parasites with it? <<Yes>>or should I just bring it back to the pet store?<<To infect their system - leave it be>>

The cure for ichh is easy. You take the fish out, nothing else, and keep them out for 6 weeks. Mucking around with the temperature doesn't make much difference. When the fish aer out, the diesease will almost certainly die out as it can't complete it's life cycle. You treat the fish in a separate tank, this need to be done for at least a month, 6 weeks as well.

Jan 19, 2006
Ok I think I'm getting what your saying:
inverts = ok with parasites dont worry bout them
NO fish in the tank at all ..... so take my one fish out and quarantine for 6 weeks.
leave fish in QT for mo to 6 weeks

Got It!
This is the info I've been FISHING for .......
By the way If the ich can attack humans the prob yes I got it. :).

Jan 19, 2006
Ahhhh ture parasites can attack humans .... my wife had one for a month and it absolutly sucked. So you are correct my friend ;). As far as fish they are quarantined and hypo'd and all are doing ok so far.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I like 1.009 to 1.010. I do not believe anything higher to be consistently effective. That's the 'industry standard'. I know Sprung advocates much higher, but also has a page quote where he too uses 1.009 as the SG for treatment

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
General question... can live rock from a QT that had ich go back into the main tank? I assume it would need to be bleached or dried or some such, what would be the best (I also realize this will make it dead rock, but it looks nice so I'd like it back in the tank at some point, as long as it's not "contageous").

di0nysus

Large Fish
Sep 9, 2007
sunnyside of california
ok im planning on doing a QT tank for my first 2 fish. im going to use my
10g tank thats out in the garage
and a penguin w/ biowheel filter
add my saltwater
add a piece of LR
50 watt heater
and it would be safe to add the fish in as soon as im done with this set up?
any suggestions?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If you can, do that, but take the live rock out before you add the fish (assuming the live rock is from a cycled tank). If you use live rock in a quarantine tank, you will have problems if you medicate, and you shouldn't place it back in the main tank once it has been in there with fish.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
In a perfect world every live thing you put in your tank will have spent some time in quarantine where you will get a chance to observe it for a bit to make sure that it is a healthy specimen that you are adding.....corals included. With the large amount of corals coming from hobby tanks from who knows where at frag swaps etc you should quarantine these as they may be harboring parasites that you don't want in the main display such as nuisance nudibranches, red bugs, flatworms etc. A good practice to get into....quarantine everything.

Mar 5, 2008
I have a QT question. I set up a 10 gal. I'm using a aquaclear 70 that I had on my Main tank since I started cycling it. 3 weeks. The QT has been set up for about 4 days now. No ammo or nitrite spike. Is that normal this whole to fully cycle and not to fully cycle a QT has me baffled. Should I put a peice of LR in there until I get my first fish. And I was thinking about Aggressive QT, instead of waiting around for 6+ weeks. Figure I might treat for ich right away. What do you think? Please help

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Bigjoey: You can put a piece of live rock in there until you get fish. Just make sure you take it out before you add them. It's always a good idea to monitor your ammonia in the QT. It's up to you if you want to treat for ich straight away. If you do, hyposalinity is usually the best route.

sphenta: If you decide to treat for ich, go the hyposalinity route. It's something some people do, and some people prefer to wait until it shows up to treat. Not all fish will get ich. Make sure you quarantine for at least four weeks in any case.