Purchasing tank and gear used?

Apr 2, 2012
Thinking about getting a larger tank - I now have a desktop aquarium. Decided to check out Craigslist. Besides the usual advice to make sure you don't get ripped off, whats everyone's thoughts on buying used equipment? There were some attractive offers...

Thanks

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I would suggest you do a little research on brand and original cost and then consider if they posted a picture with it. There are, of course, people out there that will try to rip you off, but there are a lot of honest people also - some just moving up in the hobby and needing more room or a bigger tank or maybe leaving for college. I bought a 26g tank from Craig's list with stand and a bunch of equipment and supplies for $100. It is a very nice unit and he had cleaned it up well. One thing to be sure to ask is what they used the tank for - some people don't know that there is a difference between fish and reptile tanks and though some get away with filling a reptile tank with water, the glass and seams aren't as strong. Good Luck!

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; I bought a used tank many years ago. When I got it cleaned up there were a multitude of scratches on all surfaces of the glass. I paid too much for what I got. At the very least lok at the tabk and equipment before buying and do not buy a dirty tank. Even if it is clean and looks good it can leak. A leak can be fixed, but is extra trouble and money. Get it cheap or wait and geyt new stuff.