Puffer's Disease?

Oct 22, 2002
It is my hope that somebody has seen this before and can help!

I have a golden yellow puffer.  She is the size of a coke can.  About 3 months ago she started to develop these little white spots on top of her head.  They kind of look like a human zit/white head.  They have slowly moved to her back and the quantity has grown, however, the ones on top of her head are gone.   She only has them on the top of her.  Sides, bottom and fins are perfect.  She eats like a champ and is quite active.  

Any ideas???  I thank you for your help in advance!

Oct 22, 2002
Ok,

I just spent the past 20 minutes looking at her back, it almost looks like 10 or so of them are poping, like some little white thing sticking out of them.  

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Do you know what ich is and if you do, do you think it could be ich?
So are these flat white spots or are they bumpy?  Does it look fuzzy at all or is it clear?  Do any of the other fish in your tank look sick or have anything?

Oct 22, 2002
It is not ich, i know that for sure.

The spots are not flat, they actually stick out.  Kinda like human white head/zit.  Not fuzzy or clear, kinda white.  She is the only one that has it :(

Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance!

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Wow, strange. The only thing that comes to mind is Marine White Spot (aka Marine Ich), or the book I have (-You and Your Aquarium- by Dick Mills) says Coral Fish Disease >Oodinium ocellatum<

If something is sticking out of them, it could be some type of worm or crustacian, but I can't find it in any of my books.

Whatever it is, try reducing salinities or using freshwater dips and see how the spots respond. As long as the fish is still eating and behaving normally, whatever it is hasn't taken a lethal hold on it.  Worst come to worst, try a medication like Rid Ich or Saltwater Maracyn tabs.

Hopefully whatever it is isn't -in- the system to cause reinfections

Hope this helps,
~~Colesea