puffers and OC

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
i was wondering is it really okay to have puffers and those OC cichilds (sorry can't exactly remember the name) together or is it a luck of the drawn. bc i think that would be my ideal setup for my 55gal. oh and can i mix different puffers like the GSP and the fig8 and of course i would have the OC in there too.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Green Spotted puffers grow into marine(saltwater) puffers by the time they are adults. So I would say no to keeping F8's and GSP together for the long term. Orange Chromides(sp?) are the "OC" you are talking about. Puffers have very differing personalities, so I would guess it would be luck of the draw.

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
is this weird i just found a web page that a women did of her brackish 20 gal tank and she had 3 fig8's and some kribs in there. and said that they get along great. must be luck of the draw again.

ideally i wold love to have that for a tank. puffers and cichlids
i just don't want to risk it

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Kribs can be acclimated to low salinity levels.

I wouldn't duplicate that woman's stocking scenario, she is grossly overstocked. However - as everyone said, some F8's have milder, laid-back personalities. As they get older - however - they become less tolerant of tank mates.

The only time I have ever seen "aggression" between my puffers is feeding time and it's more "excitement" than anything - they don't attack each other. I'll be interested to see how they co-habitate with Orange Chromides as well, when I complete my stocking. Cichlids usually have quite a personality themselves - so it will be interesting to see.

Sep 12, 2006
Algonquin, IL
aside from salinity differences, u still can't keep GSPs and F8s together. take my word for it, i tried. the GSP was even smaller than the F8 but would constantly nip and nip and nip and nip the F8. he was ok when i first got him, but it got worse and worse. i took the GSP back to my lfs recently cuz i couldnt stand his nipping, and feared he would hurt my eel too.