puffer sick

beaver8888

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2003
Rhode island...on a island
my spotted green puffer is not eatin staying at the bottem of the tank his gills are moving very slow i chekced everytyhing asbout the tank ph,salt etc but he has these white things all over his stomich but only on his stomich what should i do, its been like this for about 2 days but the spots just appeard today:confused: :eek:

420Loach

Superstar Fish
May 26, 2003
Makaha, Hawaii
Visit site
im not sure... i dont have any info on puffer illness, but ill look around and post anything i find for you.

what do the white things look like?

what do you feed your puffer? how much do you feed him?

you could try and put him in freshwater too, mine has been since i got him, and hes an active little guy! i read something about gs puffer liking freshwater when they are young.

i have also been feeding my puffer freeze dried shrimp( ran out of brine shrimp, waiting for new eggs to hatch.) but he seems to be getting sick of it.

i hope your puffer gets better! good luck!

420Loach

Superstar Fish
May 26, 2003
Makaha, Hawaii
Visit site
it sounds like your puffer is really stressed out. how big is your tank with the puffer?

if he stays at the bottom he might get the spots from scraping his belly on gravel, rocks or other ornaments.

could your figure 8 puffer be beating him up?
i know once the gs puffer reaches maturity you should put it in his own tank.
you could try out some stress reliever, but try and do more resarch first. i hope it works out, good luck!:D

Last edited:

SoulFish

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Florida
www.rainbowaquatics.com
i would try putting him into freshwater (slowly very slowly acclimate him over like 6 hours or more depending on how brackish the water is, he may not be a brackish water species, there are green puffers and spotted puffers, one is brackish the other is not, try feeding him live foods, brine shrimp would be great, also have you been feeding him snails? if not check how large his teeth are, if they have grown too large he may not be able to eat in wich case you will have to file his teeth done