puffer questions

I have a broad range of questions that can be about any puffers you may have kept or keep. I am wondering what kind of puffer would be good in a 10 or 5g aquarium. Ive read about the green spotted puffer and think its a cool looking fish. Would one of those be fine in a tank of these sizes? Or would I be better off with dwarf puffers?

I geuss with this thread I really just want to hear peoples experiences with the two.

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
i think dwarf puffers for the 5 gal but in the 10 u could get something a little bigger. green puffers get to like 4 inch, right? so i guess one would be fine in a 10g. i would also recommend the figure 8 puffer for ur ten gallon as these also look very stunning.

420Loach

Superstar Fish
May 26, 2003
Makaha, Hawaii
Visit site
the recommended size tank for a full grown gs puffer is 20gal, but they grow excruciatingly slowly. i have my gs pufferin a 10 gal right now, but im getting a 20 for him soon. a 5 or 10 would be good permanent housing for dwarf puffers.

Zoidfarb

Medium Fish
Dec 2, 2003
New York
Visit site
Just in case there is more than one species commonly called the dwarf puffer, remember that the Indian dwarf (Tetraodon travancoricus), is unlike most puffers being a true freshwater fish that needs no salt. I don't know if brackish water is harmful to this species or not.
Does anyone (420Loach, perhaps)know how many dwarfs can be kept together? Will two or more females fight?
I like puffers, but I need to learn much more about them, so I'm glad to see some experienced puffer people out there!

GrImLoCk

Large Fish
Oct 2, 2003
Aag Town
Visit site
you can usually keep more than 1 females together w/ no problems but i have heard some circumstances that some females can be very cranky (i guess pms) but i have 3 dwarf puffers in a 10 gallon tank 1 male and 2 females w/ a oto, apple snail, and just aded 2 cories. at 1st the male puffer would play chase all the fish around the tank but after a few days he stop. at 1 time i had like almost 20 of these suckers (not in 1 tank of of course) i love them to death overall my favorite fish you won't be disappointed w/ their antics good luck

ps i had my dwarf puffers for close to a year and feel their need to grind teeth isn't a high priority compared to other puffers....the problem is `1st finding snails small enough and 2nd they always seem to suck the snails out of the shell rather than tear into it...i usually feed them bloodworms and krill switching between the 2 i believe the krill can be a alternative to the to the snail

Last edited:

420Loach

Superstar Fish
May 26, 2003
Makaha, Hawaii
Visit site
Last edited:

GrImLoCk

Large Fish
Oct 2, 2003
Aag Town
Visit site
my friend has 7 tiger barbs and 3 dwarf puffers in his 29 gallon and not once have the barbs chase the puffers...of course we couldn't say much for the puffers some barbs fins were nip but nothing to big so i say they should be okay w/ enough hiding spaces

Zoidfarb

Medium Fish
Dec 2, 2003
New York
Visit site
I'm glad to hear that people have had success mixing puffers with other fish. I eventually do want to get dwarf puffers, but I'm paranoid about aggression, so I was never plnning to put anything with them. Based on group member experiences and recommendations, though, I'm willing to try it. Maybe two dwarf puffers and a small school of Odessa barbs in a 30 gallon!