Protein skimmer modifications

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
Hi all,

I am currently in the process of setting up a saltwater aquarium in my lab that will house scallops. I am new to the saltwater world and have a few questions regarding the setting up the protein skimmer.

We have purchased an Instant Ocean Skimm 1600

The aquaria that I intend to use the protein skimmer for is only about half full, meaning that the pump and outflow pipe can't reach the water when the skimmer is attached to the side of the aquaria with the standard tubing. What I was wondering was whether using longer tubing to get the pump to the water line would cause issues with the functioning of the skimmer, as there will be a greater distance between the pump and the skimmer itself?

The skimmer also came with a sponge filled box intended for use with the outflow pipe. From reading around it seems that the function of this box is to prevent the build up of micro bubbles. My question is, are these micro bubbles a problem in the aquaria? Or is their removal purely for aesthetic purposes?

Unfortunately logistical issues mean setting up a sump is not really an option.

Thanks for your help

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
after looking over the skimmer i realy do not think modifying it the way you want will cause anny issues. i can always be wrong but i think it should be fine. as for the micro bubbles it is a aesthetic thing but also the micro bubbles can accumulate on fish which i have had issues with before resulting in the death of some. as for harming the scallops i cannot say. good luck with the mods and make sure you keep us updated on it's progress and weather or not it works.