prego Molly and Prego Guppies

Jun 26, 2011
How can I tell when the mommas are getting close to having their babies? I have a breeder box to put them in, but I don't want to separate them too soon or too late! The guppies have pretty large sized black spots under their bellies, and my molly is getting pretty big. What would be typical I'm going to give birth soon signs? Or would that be waiting too long? Jeez, Ive had 2 kids myself, you'd think I would know something about it! LOL! Thanks for the help everyone!!:rolleyes:

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
It's hard to tell exactly when they are going to give birth, and they may give birth to several batches of fry over the course of a couple of weeks. Instead of putting the mother in a breeder box - which causes them incredible stress and can lead to miscarriage or even death - I would instead recommend letting them stay in the main tank and providing lots of fine-leaved foliage and hiding places for the fry. Some will likely survive being eaten if they have enough hiding places.

Feb 27, 2009
Live bearers (just as egg layers) can look very large for the same reason: ripe eggs inside.

A live bearer, as it ages, can produce a lot of (as yet) unfertilzed eggs and it can make them 'look' pregnant, when in fact, they are just egg-laden.

In time, if they do not get pregnant, they will absorb or expell the ripened eggs as the eggs waiting for fertilization are only viable for a limited time. They then work on more (newer) eggs, to make them ready when a male is available to them.

I've kept females from birth together in aquariums where they lived out their lives, never being with a male. They all would 'look' squared off and very pregnant in cycles throughout their 3-4 yr lifespan.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
My Male better get busy!!!!! I am tired of waiting!!!!! LOL. Thanks for the info, I am not familiar with most of the community fish. I only acclimated these to Saltwater to provide natural prey for my fish to hunt. Maybe the male is to young??? He is a little longer then an inch.

Feb 27, 2009
Does he chase the females? If not, he's likely still too young. Is he the only male? If so, I would suggest adding another. Competition always helps spur the urge, as it were... :)

Jun 26, 2011
Thanks for the info! Sorry I couldn't get back to say thank you sooner... They are still prego, at least i'm pretty sure the guppies are, they have the black spots, and are a little lumpy now on their sides as well as being squared off on the bottom. The look like little bubbles if you see them from a straight on view. I think they'll explode if they get much bigger. My molly has just gotten more squared off looking. I think I'll take your advice and just leave them in the tank. I have a lot of plants, rooted and floating and foliage for fry that are quick enough to get away (I hope!!) Thanks again!

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Thanks for the info! Sorry I couldn't get back to say thank you sooner... They are still prego, at least i'm pretty sure the guppies are, they have the black spots, and are a little lumpy now on their sides as well as being squared off on the bottom. The look like little bubbles if you see them from a straight on view. I think they'll explode if they get much bigger. My molly has just gotten more squared off looking. I think I'll take your advice and just leave them in the tank. I have a lot of plants, rooted and floating and foliage for fry that are quick enough to get away (I hope!!) Thanks again!
And remember that your livebearers will likely breed over and over again, so you really should eventually see some fry grow up for you ;) Good luck!