Pregnant Platy -- But when will she give birth?

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
After looking at the video, it looks like she's in the first stages of pregnancy. I must say though, I love your tank and your fish, especially your Swordtail.

Dec 14, 2011
WI
Thank you for your help (and your comment about my tank!) But since we're on the subject, I have another question for you. I assumed that the Silver Wag was more ready to give birth because I can see inside of her. I have another platy (you may have seen her in the video) that is much larger. I can't see inside of her though, so I can't check for eyes. If she seems to do the back arch think that the descriptive one in the photo does, should I be expecting a birth soon?

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
No, it's just the pigment of her skin. All if my platies are lighter colored, therefore I always see through them. You'll start to see black dots in her stomach, those are the fry's eyes. Just check in her daily, she might give birth in 2 weeks. Make sure that you separate her if you want to save the fry.

Dec 14, 2011
WI
I'm posting in this thread again because I have some concerns about the other platy that was previously mentioned. She's been gigantic for a couple of+ weeks now, and she even seems to have that telltale boxy look. Is there any particular reason why she hasn't dropped her fry yet? Or could she possibly just be a monster fish?

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
She might have a lot of fry. One of my Platies was pregnant for almost 3 months and she was at least 2 inches around her stomach. She was huge and gave a drop of 80+ fry. She died after that, not to scare you or anything, but that's just what happens sometimes. Do you think you can post a picture?? I'll post a picture of both of my female Platies pregnant at the same time and almost ready to drop. This was about a year ago and it's my silver wag that's dead, my orange mickey mouse is still alive, but she's never gotten pregnant again and idk why.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Many times separating them just causes them to stress out and they don't go into labor or they die. Depending on how many fry you are willing to cope with, usually a couple will survive if you provide some moss or a little artificial grass mat they can hide in.