pregnant molly not giving birth

reba

New Fish
Jul 13, 2003
Ontario,Canada
Visit site
I bought, what I thought to be a very pregnant molly about a month ago. She has not delivered these babies though. She is the fattest molly that I have ever seen. Is it possible that she is not pregnant or could it be that due to a few moves(my attempt at making her more comfortable) have left her upset and just not willing to let them out????

valdok

Large Fish
Jul 1, 2003
Chicago, Illinois
val.textdrive.com
chances are she was pregnant, gave birth, and became pregnant again. or, you thought she was pregnant and she wasn't, but became pregnant later on. gestation periods for mollies are around 30 days, give or take a few, so be patient. with any luck you should have some baby mollies soon.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Sometimes even if they're pregnant and then their surroundings change drastically I think they'll hold their babies a bit longer. I have a guppy that did that...I had her for at least 6 weeks before she had babies and I seriously thought she was going to explode, but all is well now. I just stopped staring at her constantly and woke up one morning to babies after I fixed the water conditions in their tank.

If you think she's settled into the tank she's in now, you might try a big water change (50%) with a tiny bit cooler water...sometimes that will induce labor.

Jul 7, 2003
Visit site
my molly did the exact same thing i put her in a small tank by herself for a while in it i put gravel and LOTS of plants for hiding ini added some sea salt and stress coat i raised the temperature 2 degrees and put her in i fed her three to four times daily and she finally had her babies maybe you could try seperating her?

Apr 30, 2003
New Zealand
Visit site
are you sure that shes pregnant? I had a female guppy i thought was pregnant unitl she died and realised that it was an internal blockage most likely caused by high nitrites. Check you water paramters to make sure - better safe then sorry. Hopefully she is preggie and just stressed and so is holding them

Dec 17, 2011
oh its so sad!! :/ well, i also have a question :)
uh, i have a red molly with balck color on it's fins and tail and it has been pregnant for about 2-4 months i'm not relly sure of the date cause when i bought her her belly was small and i didnt relly know much about fish bak then so now im kinda worried for my fish. there is a male molly in the tank he is a black molly. could any of u ppl help me? if u could please send pictures so i know how it looks like and wut u mean by "square'' i didnt relly get it

thanks
MolliesKeeper <3 :p