Pregnant guppy......

One of my guppies in my 20 gallon tank is pregnant, but I have no where to put the babies whenit comes time for her to give birth. I really want to keep some of them, but I know if I leave her in there with the other fish, the babies wont last. I have no spare tanks other than my 55 gallon but I have no room for it. Any idead would help. I am really short on money also. I have a few 5 gallon tupperware containers, I was thinking about grabbing some of my plants out o my other tank, and puting them in there, and throw a little powerfilter I have laying around in there, but I gues I'd need to make a screen so they wont get sucked up. Thanks

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I think a converted tupperware dish would work perfectly! just be careful about putting a heater in it of course because its soft plastic. Maybe you could get one of those little warming pads they're making for betta bowls now?

Anything DIY is probably going to be way less expensive than getting another tank...but if you have spare parts laying around and could pull a heater/filter together, just an empty tank really doesn't cost that much say 10 bucks for a 10 gallon, or one of my lfs has a really cute 2.5 gallon with just a glass cover for about 10 dollars. You wouldn't necessarily need light (I read somewhere that fry don't like much light anyway)

If you do put a power filter in for the fry make sure to turn it down or do something to make the water flow not overpowering for them...and put a sponge over the intake tube.

If your into live plants try some java moss it isnt expensive and the fry will have a very good place to hide I wouldnt worry about a heater to much guppies can handle a very wide range of temperatures and a stocking works great on the inlet tube also.I have guppies that just dumped babbies they are doing fine but I didnt get that many because they ate them as quick as they came out only close to a dozen left.

Apr 30, 2003
New Zealand
Visit site
i agree with red belly pacus about the java moss but you're still going to need somewhere for them to grow up as they will eventually get sick of hiding in the java moss. I agree with the idea to make a net yourself. you could try graden shops to get the netting if your LFS doesnt have any (and its probably cheaper too) and just use bits of stick to make the sides and bottom.

Happy DIY

reba

New Fish
Jul 13, 2003
Ontario,Canada
Visit site
I have kept baby guppies in a spare beta hex. I kept it on top of my 10 gallon tank for extra heat. I don't know where you live, but if it is warm then they should be fine anyway. I live in southern Canada and I know that they would be okay here. I just changed their water regularly, probably not the best thing but they all lived for 6 weeks, I then introduced my very gentle beta to them in an attemppt to get them ready to go in the comunity tank. He ate them all. I almost cried when I checked them. Just a big turd in the bottom.