POTHOS, Philodendron, and devils ivy

Jan 11, 2003
New Jersey, USA
all those names are for the same plants. it is a house plant. is it true that you can keep it in an aquarium completly under water. if so can they be kept in an aquarium with a ph of 7.8. in there i have swordtails, mollies, guppies, and plecos and a snail. will the bother the plant. please anwser all parts of my question. thank you

Dec 20, 2002
Clearwater, Florida
If these are what you mean
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/houseplants/types/scindapus.html
Then, for almoast all of the years I was growing up there was usually a few pieceses in atleast one, if not all tanks. I used a few branches of it when I tried to breed bettas as well, good support for bubble nests but a pain when the female and later male had to be netted. But then any plant would be in that situation I would imagine.
I do not know if that ph would affect it, I dont know if the ph was ever even tested in any of the tanks.
If those fish/the snail eat plants then they might eat that plant as well. The leaves arent paper thin though, so the fishies might prey on other plants. If you worry, maybe drop a slice of yellow squash in the tank. Im not sure about zucchini, it seems to go soft and gooey faster than yellow does when left in a baggie in the refrigerater.
If you do get one, I would suggest you keep the main plant somewhere outside the tank, and break off all/however much you want of the branches that reach over the side of the bucket it is in. You can either plant it or leave it free-floating. It grows roots quickly, but gets algae on the leaves quickly as well, but that is easily wiped off.
Good luck. :)

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
I have seen philodendrons grown out the backside of an aquaclear filter, or in sumps, or just out of tanks, with the roots actually going into the aquarium, gives the fish something to hide in.

Pothos. that is the commander's dogs name on Enterprise. I was trying to figure out where I've heard that before.

SLO-Dean

Large Fish
Jan 27, 2003
SLO, CA
Visit site
Hmmm, never thought of putting Pothos in my tank, thanks for the idea.
I'm always trimming these plants around the house and have some little vases filled with pieces I had trimmed, I cut off a stem and poked it into my gravel hope it takes, I bet it will.

Just hope it doesn't look strange or out of proportion, the leaves are kind of large. I have seen these plants in greenhouses with leaves the size of basketballs. They're usually about 2-1/2" with normal household humidity.

missi

Small Fish
Feb 21, 2005
I had some pothos cuttings in my tank and several of the leaves got brown spots on them and I guess kind of rotted away, although the plants were putting out new roots. I've since removed the plants. I also have a high ammonia problem right now, so that may have affected the plants. Once I get the water right again, I'll try another cutting. They did look nice and they were the only plants that the dojo didn't constantly 're-arrange' for me.

Feb 7, 2014
"maybe drop a slice of yellow squash in the tank", can you explain the reason...

If these are what you mean
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/houseplants/types/scindapus.html
Then, for almoast all of the years I was growing up there was usually a few pieceses in atleast one, if not all tanks. I used a few branches of it when I tried to breed bettas as well, good support for bubble nests but a pain when the female and later male had to be netted. But then any plant would be in that situation I would imagine.
I do not know if that ph would affect it, I dont know if the ph was ever even tested in any of the tanks.
If those fish/the snail eat plants then they might eat that plant as well. The leaves arent paper thin though, so the fishies might prey on other plants. If you worry, maybe drop a slice of yellow squash in the tank. Im not sure about zucchini, it seems to go soft and gooey faster than yellow does when left in a baggie in the refrigerater.
If you do get one, I would suggest you keep the main plant somewhere outside the tank, and break off all/however much you want of the branches that reach over the side of the bucket it is in. You can either plant it or leave it free-floating. It grows roots quickly, but gets algae on the leaves quickly as well, but that is easily wiped off.
Good luck. :)
Can you explain the reason for putting yellow squash or zucchini in the fish tank? I want to use this plant in my fish tank with my Betta fish. I want it to work but I don't think squash or zucchini will work. Thanks.