Pond Question

Oct 5, 2005
Houston
Okay as we all know winter is here or coming and it's getting cold. :ast night was the first real cold night I would say. I'm worried about my pond, it's freezing cold. Are there any suggestions?

Oct 24, 2005
How big is your pond? Waterfall? Fountain(s)? What kind of fish are in it?

We have a 7.5 ft x 9.5 ft pond that's around 2.5 ft deep with various Koi and goldfish in it. A good flowing stream with waterall and a fountain. The only preps we go through for winter is to stop feeding the fish to start their hibernation. Then we remove the shallow water plants, generally we just buy new plants each year. We cut our lily pads down and put in the deepest part of the pond. We keep a couple of plecos in the pond through the summer but we take them out early in fall b/c they have to have much warmer water.

We haven't lost any fish yet and the lilypads come back every spring. The top few inches of our pond froze last year but the water continued moving under it so the fish were fine. That's when the pond was a mere 18 inches deep, so we don't expect any problems this year.

Make sure that you clean all of your filters now b/c you won't really want to put your hands in that ice cold water later in the winter and you don't want the water flow to get too low.

Oct 5, 2005
Houston
Well my pond is 170 gallons, mainly have some minnows, guppies, fan-taileds and one big pleco. I just discovered that my pleco has died. Sad, very sad. I have a lily that sita at the bottom of the pond. I think it will be okay.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
How deep is your pond? 170 gallons isn't very big. I realise you're in Houston, but I would be tempted to bring them inside for the winter. It isn't as cold as some places get, but your winters still can be cold enough and those fish are good for cool water but not cold water. Your lily should be good or you'll know next Spring if it's better to bring that in as well.

Our pond is about 42" or so at its deepest spot and the plants fare fine, we've overwintered fish in the pond successfully before and had spawns come Spring, but find it easier to bring the livestock inside. Last year we had an exceptionally intense winter up here and I doubt the fish would have survived. The pond is in a raised garden, and the ice was incredibly thick. I doubt the heater could have kept up.

Our fish are currently in a large vat in the basement with the pond filter w/ biofilter attachment and a huge sponge w/ a powerhead running in it. We keep an eye on temps and base their feeding schedule on that.

Charlius

Medium Fish
Sep 18, 2005
calico_ said:
guppies, plecoes and fantail goldfish are no pondfish, they are aquarium fish. if you let them overwinter outdoors, no one of them will survive. :(
Definite ditto to that. I'm surprised that wasn't the first thing that was said. Is this your first winter pond experience??

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Charlius said:
Definite ditto to that. I'm surprised that wasn't the first thing that was said. Is this your first winter pond experience??
They are SUMMER pond fish, even some Fall and Spring depending on conditions, which is what I pointed out. I don't know how severe winters are in that area of TX, but if it snows, they definitely don't belong outdoors. I just brought my own "pond fish" inside a couple of weeks ago. The koi and comets are in the big vat downstairs I mentioned before. The guppies, minnows, rosy barbs, bridgesii snails and mollies are in tanks in my bedroom (nothing like 6 tanks in your bedroom to beat the winter blahs! *thumbsups ) And, Mr Big, the pleco went to the NHAS auction.

I find the fish thrive outside and may try bringing out some other species next year. For anyone who has lamented the fragility of guppies these days, this is one way to encourage stronger constitutions either by the manner in which they live amongst *tons* of live plants and real food arriving daily on the wing or simple survival of the fittest.

Oct 24, 2005
When we bought our fantail and Koi 2 years ago they told me that all of the fish would go into a type of hybernation. I thought that they had lost their mind or were just trying to sell the fish, but I've been wrong before so I trusted them. Our fantail is now about 6" and going strong. I've read both sides of this story saying that it has to be above 60 and other saying they'll be fine as long the pond is deep enough.

Like I said, our variety of gold fish and koi have endured the winters here in Kansas without any problems, so far. The pond froze over multiple times but the water was still moving beneath the ice. We do take our Plecos out in early fall for their safety. I think a lot of the reason that they don't survive in all environments is because of the lack of vegetation for them to feed off of. For whatever reason, ours and many others have made it through the winters here.

EDITED TO ADD:
A lot of people may confuse Moors and Fantails b/c of their fancy tails. Moors are more sensitive to the change in temperatures than a fantail.

Last edited:

Charlius

Medium Fish
Sep 18, 2005
Seleya: Are you telling me that a fantail goldfish belongs in a pond? I can understand the pleco, being added in the summer for algae control, but I really don't agree with a fantail being considered a pond fish. You don't really want to put fancies into an outside pond (at least that was the impression I was under).

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Many sources allow for fantails and moors to be kept in ponds. They were originally bred to be seen and appreciated from above. Many people keep fancies outdoors successfully. However, water quality must be very scrupulously maintained as the fancier fins can get congested if the water isn't great.

I have seen a huge red-cap oranda being kept in a beautiful garden pond in Cambridge, MA -- this pond is 6' deep and has a nice aeration/filtration setup. The remainder of the fish in this pond are comets or fry from the oranda X comets. From what I understand, some of the fish are overwintered outside while others come in. I can only assume the oranda comes inside. They're not really suggested as pond fish because of the wen. I have two of those oranda X comet crosses -- one is over 12" the other is 9" -- they both have a smallish head and hint of a wen, somewhat fuller comet shape and very full, showy single caudal fins. The current owner told me the pond is about 10 yrs old. Considering the size of this fish and it's fry, it may be an original inhabitant.

Fancies don't usually fare well with single tailed goldfish because they just can't typically compete with their faster companions. I think the ones who most frequently fare well are those in more natural ponds with plenty of grazing opportunities.

Why not have a small pond with just fantails? In a 170 gallon pond, not more than 2' deep, a small group of fantails would be really striking. I used to keep a couple of my fantails in a 45 gallon 'pop-up pond' and loved the effect (my retrievers were drawn to the nice 'wading pool', so I moved them into a 46 bowfront before anything untoward happened) ;)

In an area that gets snow, imo, 1.5' - 2' is not deep enough to overwinter and they should be brought in. Rubbermaid stock tanks are awesome for overwintering and can be bought cheaply enough at feed stores in up to 300 gallon capacities. The pond filter can be brought in also to use overwinter, so the bacterial colonies won't need to be re-established in the Fall and then again come Spring. The smaller rubbermaid containers work well too, but the stock tanks are tougher and usually cheaper gallon for gallon.

BTW, caution needs to be the word when it comes to mixing plecos and goldfish. In most cases, you're better off not combining them imo. I've done it but it was a matter of expediency for the _short term_ and the plec was very well fed on plenty of garden surplus. A goldfish is no match for a pleco if a problem arises. Goldies love nibbling algae. Algae blooms can be avoided or managed in other ways than using a pleco. ;)

Last edited:

Charlius

Medium Fish
Sep 18, 2005
Ah, I get it. It's more of a 'not the best thing to put', but 'can still be done' kinda' thing. Whoa, a 6' pond, niiiccce.

Yea, 1.5' really isn't deep enough at all for winter. I believe 3' or more was the recommended depth in a pond mag. I read (for snowy areas).

Ya'll are lucky, I wish I had a pond!!!

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Most experts suggest at least 3', more the further North you go. That pond I mentioned was sweet -- smallish diameter wise, maybe 6' X 12' at its widest points (if that even), kitty-cornered on a small lot. They had water pumped up onto a 5' stone bank to tumble back into the pond in a bunch of rivulets, another pump drove the water through an external filter into a small prefab pond *full* of plants maybe 3 - 4' above the pond surface, which spilled water down the rock face also into a small sluiceway. It had serious fish shui. ;)

I'm not sure fantails are so much a 'can still be done' as much as a 'can't be as casually done' kinda fish. So long as the situation is right, they are simply fancier goldfish. Just like putting show style delta tailed guppies out instead of "run of the mill" spade tailed mixed guppies. In the case of goldies, whether in a tank or in a pond, they really should be segregated according to their limitations in most cases and some varieties really are truly inside only fish.

Oct 5, 2005
Houston
Well thanks a lot guys for all your input. Yes this is my first winter for my pond. I know my fish are not the "pond" type but koi would eat my lillies unless I put them high enough where they almost came out of the water so they wouldn't be destroyed. Like Seleya said they're not the typical pond fish but they can be placed in there. I'm following a friend of mine who has a 10000g pond in his backyard. I need to get pictures of his backyard it's crazy. He raises goldfish, fantails, guppies, mollies, and koi in his ponds. He sells his guppies ans mollies to lfs. Well thanks again guys.