Polypterus delhezi (armored bichir) PREDATOR??

N.S.

Small Fish
Oct 26, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
Picked up a small Polypterus delhezi a couple of months ago and posted a thread about how often and how much to feed him.

He is a great addition to the tank and I would recommend one of these to anyone.

I recieved a prompt reply from Fruitbat which helped out substantially but am still in the dark as to what quantity of food (chunks of beef heart) is the most effective in maintaining a healthy bichir. More often than not I hand feed him 2-3 small chunks 1-2 times a day. Is this an optimal amount? He is about 5" long now and loves to sit around and "digest."

This brings me to the subject of the thread:

A couple of weeks after acquiring "Biker" we got a few very small feeder fish for him. Nothing. Nada. I realize that Polypterus delhezi are nocturnal ambush hunters, however, I have witnessed these little buggers actually brush "Biker's" nose as they pass! So, I tried to starve him for a couple of days. (I realize, not entirely humane but no harm, no foul.) Still zip. I now have 3 resident guppies that feel quite comfortable in my 100g and, to be honest, I don't mind 'em. A female just had little'uns and the other fish acted like it was Christmas.

Have I spoiled 'Biker' on hand-fed beefheart to the point where he knows that he doesn't have to hunt anymore? What will he go after?

I appreciate any reply.

Jul 31, 2007
actually it does look like you have spoiled ur polypeterus....
i have a senegalus polypeterus and i feed him sinking shrimp pellets since she became the size to eat them.... i raised mine from a 2.5'' to a now 6''...
she was first raised in a 30 gallon but now in a 55 with multiple residents.
and when i first bought her the sales person said if i fed it befheart it would be EXTREMELY hard to get it on another food....

so beefheart is more so a TREAT, then a daily diet
just watch how much u feed it, you should really only be doing 1-2 pieces twice a day.