Plecos vs. Cory Cats?

Aug 3, 2011
So I recently came into possession of a 10 gallon tank and a filter that I am cycling and wondering what to put in. I know I want some form of bottomfeeder. I saw plecos at the Local Fish Store and fell in love with them, but I don't know if they would be the best choice because of how big they can get. Would Cory Cats be a better choice? I know I want to put something else in that will stay towards the top of the tank. Thoughts?

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I wouldn't recommend any pleco's for your size of tank. Your right, most of them get too big for your tank. Are you looking for algae eater or just a bottom feeder?
Oto's are another choice that could work in your tank. Although they are pretty sensitive and often do better in tanks that are well established (not newly cycled).
So I would vote for the cories! There is a ton of variety in terms of looks and they make for a great cleanup crew (not so much algae but leftover food).

Do you have any other fish in the tank currently? Or are you making your stocking plan now??
I really love tetras and a small school I believe could work in a 10 gallon. You are kinda limited in number and size of your fish because of your tank size but it still will make for a great setup.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I am going to vote for Serpeas (High Fin Tetra Minors) Take a look at Petsmart.com and they have a really good picture of one in the "Live Fish" I understand they can be fin nippers, but I have had no problem and I have them in two community tanks. They are both colorful and playful and really liven up a tank because they are quite active. A lot of times Petsmart will have them on sale for $1 each. You could put 6 in your tank. Wait a bit so you have some food for the otos, but I have them in all my tanks and do not find them sensitive, but in fact rather hardy. I do not have any cories so can't comment on them. I did try them at first but they died when the otos did fine. May have been the batch they came from.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I think otos or cories are a good choice for your tank.....the decision is yours to make. :)
My personal favorite tetras are neon tetras or rummynose tetras.

Although they are pretty sensitive and often do better in tanks that are well established (not newly cycled).
I guess I should explain myself better.....I have heard that otos can be sensitive because of the current stock on the market or something.
Other than that I dunno! Lol!

Last edited:

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Achase's original question is valid - do you want something that will eat algae, or do you want a fish that hangs out at the bottom of the tank? If the tank is new, it will take a while to build up algae, and may not generate much algae at all. The otos will die if there isn't enough for them to eat. If you want a fish to hang out at the bottom, cories are excellent! You could see if you can find pygmy cories, and do six of them in your tank - would be awesome with some tetras! If not pygmies then pandas or julii cories stay relatively small - be careful what type of cory you get, if you go that way, as some can grow quite large.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I have otos in all my tanks from 2.5g to 30g and they have done fine for over a year now. I just needed to make sure the tank had enough algae and the smaller tanks certainly grow plenty of that. I only have two in the smaller tanks.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I have otos in all my tanks from 2.5g to 30g and they have done fine for over a year now. I just needed to make sure the tank had enough algae and the smaller tanks certainly grow plenty of that. I only have two in the smaller tanks.
You can do this but, it takes a skilled hobbyist to meet the needs of this fish. If a hobbyist needs to ask what to put in for a bottom feeder he or she is probably new to the hobby which is just fine by me but, we should not recommend a fish of this level to a beginner, this could be a set-up for failure. We need to recommend hardy fish as they mentioned in their post. Ottos truly need to be in a 20G or bigger tank. Even the smallest upset in a 10G can wipe out Otto's, in a 20G you have twice the cushion to work with in case of problems. You are really a skilled hobbyist to keep Otto's in a 2.5G tank. I have been doing this for 33 years and question my skill at this task. What filter system do you use?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I think the filter on the 2 1/2g is a "Red Sea" nano filter. Its a HOB anyway and cost about $8. It may be a discontinued item. I am now just stuffing some filter material I cut myself in it. All I can say is the otos apparently do fine. The betta ignores them and they ignore him. The ones in the 5g were interesting. That betta died and for probably a month the tank was empty or so I thought. I left the Aqueon 10 or 20 running, but couldn't find the otos. Then I found a new betta and when I put hm in suddenly both otos were there and all fat and happy! I think they have been in there since sometime last year. Its a make shift arrangement - a hex acrylic thing that I got at a thrift store for $1.99 and then found a rectangular small hood at the same time for the same price that sets across the top. Like I said, small tanks seem to grow more algae.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
i personally wouldnt do cories ina 10g, prob not even dwarf cories.
can look into shrimp, theres a unch of really neat ones out there

and i like rummynose also, and neons but problem with them is it takes awhile to get a healthy group going as their in high demand and so it leads to lousy breeding in some cases.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
i personally wouldnt do cories ina 10g, prob not even dwarf cories.
can look into shrimp, theres a unch of really neat ones out there

and i like rummynose also, and neons but problem with them is it takes awhile to get a healthy group going as their in high demand and so it leads to lousy breeding in some cases.
I seen a shrimp tank at my local the other day. They where tiny red and white stripped ones, only about an inch long, very neat set-up.