Plecos and Clawed Frogs

Jul 20, 2003
NewFriggenYawk
Visit site
hey guys....i got a 5 gal tank with 2 African clawed frogs...i get overrun with algea and dont know what to do......ive tried a snail(killed fast by the frogs) and a pleco(died..not killed)...i think the pleco died because it stopped eating the algea and only went after the bloodworms i was feeding the frogs...any ideas on how to naturally combat the algea?

BrooklynUSA

420Loach

Superstar Fish
May 26, 2003
Makaha, Hawaii
Visit site
welcome!:D your pleco probably died because a 5 gal is too small for a pleco, they get up to 12 inches long and need more then algae to survive. african clawed frogs are very mean little s#!ts that will probably kill ANYTHING you put in with them.

if you keep the frogs id clean the tank yourself with an algae scrubber every once in a while. cant think of anything that eats algae and could survive with ACF's...

Last edited:

420Loach

Superstar Fish
May 26, 2003
Makaha, Hawaii
Visit site
a good idea would be to upgrade to a 10 gal and get african dwarf frogs. they dont have claws and dont really do much but they wont harm anything except blood worms. plus you could get some fish in the tank.:D

welcome to the tank! hope i helped you out a little.

Jul 20, 2003
NewFriggenYawk
Visit site
high 420 and thanx for the quick reply

i had dwarves too...cute little guys......the pleco i had was a tough kid...a clown pleco that doesnt grow too large(maybe about 3 or 4" i heard....he used to chase the frogs out of his cave and they were scared of him....they are both still pretty small about 2" head to hind not streched out so i know it wasnt the frogs....it was the diet..plecs cant digest meat

420Loach

Superstar Fish
May 26, 2003
Makaha, Hawaii
Visit site
oh im sorry, i though you meant a common pleco. boy is my face red*laughingc . ive never seen a clown pleco, was it expensive, other then commons ive only seen ONE zebra pleco on sale for 56 dollars.:eek: (on sale remind you)

sorry about the mix up.:D

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
i don't know about plecos not being able to digest meat.mine get a fair bit of everything,heck my common pleco loves bloodworms.clown plecos like vegetable matter and wood which is good for thier digestive tract.i think tank size was the ultimate problem though because one too small of a tank clown plecos aren't very tolerant of declineing water quality and two african clawed frogs are mean as hell it such a small tank there's nowhere to run