pleco has a strange white line.... HELP

Sep 17, 2010
hello, i have a year and a half old common pleco.

today i was looking at my tank when she went to the front of my tank ( i could see her under belly). well just bellow her mouth on the left side there is a small white line that looks like a "J". i dont know what its from.... she does not have fin rot so it should not be fungus right?
my water has been cooler than normal since its the fall and a window was left open..... could it be from the cold water?
please what is it, and treatment ideas.

keep in mind i have an 8 month old telescope gold fish in there as well.
( i think i uploaded the pic... sorry its blurry i took the pic with my laptop)

Attachments

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
How large is your tank? What other fish are in it besides the goldfish and the pleco? Common plecos have different temperature requirements than goldfish. Goldfish are not tropical fish like plecos. Goldfish also require a minimum of 30 to 100 gallons, depending on the species. Goldfish also produce an insane amount of waste and require a large filter and frequent water changes, even in a large tank. Is your tank cycled? What are your specific readings for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite? Do you own a liquid test kit?

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Manda welcome to the tank.

I really cant make out anything from the pictures even if I could I probably wouldnt be able to say what it was anyway but I would make a hell of an effort to find out..lol.

I doubt water temp as much to do with it but what have the temps been?

I keep a common Pleco in my 90G north american native tank since plecos are an invasive species that has become established in some areas of the south so it shows our native fish coexisting with non native ecologically destructive fish. I do not heat any of my native tanks and have never had any issues even when the temps drop into the 50's on real cool winter days. I live in Texas so it doesnt usually get to cold.