PLeco and Plants??

Pokorny

Small Fish
Jun 24, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
Hey I gave one of my pleco's, just your standard petsmart black pleco, and he has a tank full of plants. Will the pleco eat them or kill them? Any help would be much appreciated.

Dan

bigfoot150

Superstar Fish
Dec 17, 2003
Alameda, Ca
Visit site
It really depends. If he is a big pleco and there is little algae in the tank then yes he will eat your plants. Not to the point that you have no plants at all, but you will notice holes in your swords and other plants.

If he is a small pleco and you have a little algae you will notice small holes. If you have enough algae to notice then he will spend most of his time eating it.

I have both condition in my tanks. I have a 10 gallon that has alot of algae and the small little pleco in there doesn't bother the plants. I also have a 44gal that at one point had alot of algae but doesn't now except in small spots due to a 3-4" pleco I put in there that i got for cheap from petsmart. Since there is not much algae he does much some on my swords. Hasn't effected growth as ot yet but if it gets much worse i may switch the little one and big one.

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
it's like this,plecos don't eat plants too much if they are well fed.if you try and pretend that plecos only eat algae and plants then yes your plants are going to be a fishy salad bar pronto.feed your pleco a varied diet with algae wafers,frozen bloodworms,fresh raw(or parcooked)shrimp,zuccini,green peas(remove the skins first)and your pleco should never touch your plants.it's not a sure bet but it should stop you pleco from eating your plants.

PlacoMan

Small Fish
Feb 4, 2004
Maryland
Visit site
If you see your plants disapearing and long stringy "pleco" waste all around your tank you have the guilty fish. I feed my Pleco's exactly what catfishmike said and they don't touch my plant's..... but my angels are killing them slowly

Roop

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2003
i have a 4 inch pleco. i've never seen him eating plants or uprooting them. if he starts doing that, i'm sure my lfs will give me a good trade in.

i think i've had enough of troublesome plecos. i really like a tiney school of otto cats and i don't mind scrubbing the glass once a week.

ctxmonitor

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
I have also have a pleco in my tank for a week now. He has been doing great. He clean my glass in 2 nights, clean the algae on my new plant in 1 day. Never seen him eat or damage any of my plants. I have amazon, anubias, java fern, rindica. Mine is about 3" though. Not sure if he will eat my plant when he get bigger. But so far so good...