please help with ballast wiring!

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
so after some research i think i may have found your problem, http://www.advancetransformer.com/uploads/resources/EL-2060-R03.pdf on the very bottom of the the second page there is a table of different ways this balast can work, from what i can figure the REL is the 120 volt model and the VEL is the 277 model, so it looks like you got the european model.

Sorry dude if i'm right (which i'm pretty sure i am) where did you get this thing, where they not clear about it?

i got mine off ebay but got the centium model, these ones can run on 120 or 277. Not sure what the differance is and why one can run both and another can't.

I would maybe contact the dealer just to make sure what i found is correct before you give up. From there not sure if you wanna try again with the proper ballast (you have the wiring right so you should be good to go next time) or like you said go the AHsupply. I would think it would be cheaper to get another ballast and finish the project you started.

good luck

Also i just found this Aquarium-Lighting-Guide.com - Metal Halide, Fluorescent, Compact Fluorescent, VHO, T5 i though the wattages your balast give were a bit off which might be explained by it being for europe, again sorry dude, hope this DIY works out for you.

Last edited:

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Yeah, from that chart it doesn't look like each ballast is either / or, but the REL is 120, the VEL is 277. Well that sucks. I would definitely check back with the dealer you got it from, or if they are no help, Lowes or HD has a small selection of ballasts that would more than likely work.

s0larb3ar

Small Fish
Aug 3, 2008
Thanks so much guys,

the second i purchased the second ballast rated 120 V and hooked it up, both strips lit up without incident..so the only wasted money was on the ballast and some wire!

Success! and a lesson in doing better research lol

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
Sweet, I'm glad we were able to help you get it figured out. It's amazing what light does for plants, after i doubled my light with this project my plants started growing so fast.