Please help me!!!

Jun 19, 2012
:confused: I have 46gal w/5 Ghost Cats 2 male Mollies and my Husband's female Platty temp. Due to the maintenance have he is doing well It just dawned on me that I don't think she is constipated she could be pregnant. I don't know if a Molly could get her pregnant or not but she is huge and it seems like it happens ov night. If she is what do I need to do? I don't want her to eat the babies and don't think my cats will due to their mild scardie cat nature. However I can be totally wrong my tank is planted with 2 aqua ferns that are med. And large 2 Ittle java fern a group of bundle random small leafy plants in a coral base 2 fake log drift wood like things that one has 2 swim through openings on top of them I made 2 cave like tunnels out of dinosaur fossils and bones. I also have an Egyptian broken vase that she likes to be in but the typical males have to g o inside the vase and she will come out. What do I need to do if she is pregnant? My cats don't mess with the three of them really they just chill by the filter or next to or under one of the caves that has a fake long stem purple plant thing I forgot to mention. I have a number of fossils propped up that make swim through holes for hiding places but afraid it will not be enough. She also lookalike she is panting please help?!? Thanks

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I believe platys and Mollies can cross breed, but at the moment do not have time to look for a source of that information. Moving the female will just stress her and although some have success others lose the fry. Even in a separate tank she could eat her own fry. Seeing as how they can have 30 and more fry at a time, what could you do with that many? Even in a community tank, some will survive and it sounds like you have plenty of hiding places. Just relax and let nature take its course and also, Welcome to the forum!

Feb 27, 2009
Common name: Guppy
Scientific name: Poecilia reticulata

Common name: Molly
Scientific Name : Poecilia sphenops.

Common name: Swordtail
Scientific name: Xiphophorus helleri

Common name: Platy (two seperate species)
Scientific name: Xiphophorus maculatus
Scientific name: Xiphophorus variatus

The two words that make up the Scientific name are the fish's Genus (starts with a capital letter) and the species (starts with a small letter).

Fish in the same Genus can crossbreed and produce viable fry. It is unlikely the hybrid will live long and most are sterile.

That being said, the Guppy and Molly (both in the Poecilia Genus) can crossbreed. The Swordtail and Platy (both in the Xiphophorus Genus) can crossbreed.

If the OPs plady is 'suddenly' large, it could be an indication of disease or constipation. If she was with males in the past, she could be producing fry from an earlier (months ago) mating.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
my tank is planted with 2 aqua ferns
Despite its name, the 'aqua fern' is not an aquatic plant. It will decay over time and foul your water.

She also lookalike she is panting
Panting could mean she's about to give birth, or some other stress. Do you test your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Please post the numbers if you do, or get a local pet store to test for you so we can further advise.

Jun 19, 2012
Yep they can cross breed and unfortunately I was not prepared however I have 10 little swimming eyeballs that seem to be doing great and I am on my way to petco to drop god knows how much money to keep the eyeballs alive. I did lose some to the filter not a lot. Mom did eat some due to the stress of the Glass and my net trying to remove my other fish. I had NO intentions on having eyeballs so what's do I do now and come on Petco dollar a gallon sale

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I don't understand why you were removing your other fish and risking stressing them out. Did you have another tank cycled and ready to go? As OC says if they are really cross bred they may not thrive anyway.

rb8jo

Small Fish
Jun 21, 2012
Buy a simple breeders net and place her inside in her own tank when you see translucent egg like fry in the net remove her to the tank with the others the fry will all live this way. I highly recommend that until they are of a decent size not to add them back with the others as most fish are cannibals.A breeding net is about 5 bux.If you have any mesh you use in your filter system you can make a simple net with the top of a plastic jug and mesh. hang on side of tank make it big enough for mommie to swim .