please help have any1 bred giant danio

Oct 22, 2002
[move][glow=red,2,300][shadow=red,left,300]i think my two giant danio are doing mating ritals can u tell me info on the breeding of the giant danio[/shadow][/glow][/move]

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Danios are broadcast spawners, which mean you need a large school of them (at least 20+) to get any sort of success. They have no parental behaviors. They simply shed sperm and eggs into the water, which drift down to the bottom of the tank to the gravel. If not protected, the eggs will be eaten by tankmates and the parents themselves.  I do not know of anybody who has ever breed these guys in personal aquarium tanks, but I know research facilities do breed these and other danio species in large schools.

Your two danios, if male and female, are probably doing mating riturals or just testing each other for dominance. I doubt you will have any fry raised, especially if you have bottom feeders like loaches and cories that will suck up the eggs.  I know the book -You and Your Aquarium- by Dick Mills has suggestions on how to set up breeding facilities for broadcast spawners.
~~Colesea

Oct 22, 2002
thanx but i dont think there brodcast breders becuse that not what anouther site said but any way my one giant danio got really big and eats alot but is seamming a littler teritorral latly so u could be right are she is pregnet
thanx again
[move] ??? ??? ???[/move]

WonderFish

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I've never bred giant danios, but they do breed in schools.  I didn't think you would need 20 of them, but you would need a larger school.  Females are bigger than the males, so they're easy to tell apart.  For a breeding tank, you would ultimately want one with a false bottom or a bottom with marbles so they can't get to their eggs.  These fish are usually called egg scatterers, cause well, that's what they do.