Please help.... 180 new Sailfin Mollie fry.....

Sep 27, 2013
I am confused as to what to do with these fry. I have had some success with Guppie fry but never had to deal with any other. I love the look of the sailfins but I was told and have read that they flourish in Brackish water. I added a little bit of Marine salt to my 55 gal. tank.... Had to take my corys out due to the salt, but not sure how long or how much more I need to add during my next water change . I did a 10 % water change last night and added 5 tablespoons then , will not do another water change until sunday. do I add more or wait for a month to add more salt? I would love to raise these fish but still have a lot to learn about them. it should be another month before the two females drop again. I will be getting a hydrometer tomorrow from lfs

I have 3 tanks currently going.

10 gal

25 guppy fry 3 weeks old.

55 gal
1 pleco
3 sailfin mollies
2 swordtails
3 platties ( do I need to move these)

30 gal

3 adult guppies
2 corys
6 guppy juveniles ( 2 mo. old)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
best salt to use imo is instant ocean salt for your molly tank. your pleco will not like the salt so you better move him. what kind of pleco is he? (I keep plecos too!)
I think a teaspoon of salt per gallon is good. dont add salt to your tank, add it to your water change water. so say you have 5 gals of water in a bucket that you will pour into your tank, put in 5 teaspoons of salt into the 5gal bucket and mix before pouring it in.

also swordtails and platies will hybridize. if you are not doing any specific breeding projects where you want to mix colors, then i suggest ou do separate those two. likewise do not keep mollies with guppies because of the same reason, but i see you are not doing that.

1 teaspoon per gallon is a very conservative amount for them. I'd only do it because i would want to stay on the safe side and not OD the salt. you can probably raise the dosage higher and keep them in lower brackish range. once you get the hydrometer, measure the tank's SG. if its on the lower side of brackish then keep it there by mixing your water change to about that SG. if it is not the get it there.

mollies can even tolerate full saltwater so there is tons of room for beginner error. just don't over-do it ;)

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
I used to add quite a bit if instant ocean salt to my cichlid tank. I felt that it really helped with the health of the tank. Also had three bristle nose plecos in there that didn't seem to mind. Just my own experience, if that helps.

Feb 27, 2009
I've never made money selling livebearers. I'd get some credit, but it never offset the cost of electricity, food, and water changes to raise them up to the size they wanted. I never tried to breed for color or body mod, maybe that would have helped.

Sep 27, 2013
And how in the world did you ever count them??
The first mollie had over 110... that is way to many to keep in a breeder box so I put them in a one gallon tank for a little while so I could get my juvenile guppys moved into community tank. then counted as I put them in the grow out tank. The second mollie had 84 and I removed them from the breeder net in the same way and moved them into the grow out tank. That is how I count them..... I will be giving them to my LFS for credit towards my Full Salt tank. It will help offset the cost of the Marine fish that I am wanting . *S*