Platy pregnant, how far along do you think

Kris

New Fish
Apr 16, 2009
I just bought this platy and she's obviously pregnant :)

I was just wondering about how far along does she look? Or how long does she have left est?

I want to keep the babies so I want to make sure the other fish don't eat them. I have a breeder trap but I've heard they get stressed:confused:

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
IMO, I would say within a week, maybe less she'll drop them. Platy are a little harder than guppies since they don't get as "square" before dropping babies. She looks pretty far along though.

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
I've also heard they get stressed out in that breeder trap.
If you want them to survive (and not use the trap) try putting some floating plants in there. Real or fake plants will work.

Some people say that they do nothing to raise the fry and yet somehow they manage to thrive.

I always assumed the adults would eat them all...but I've heard countless stories of people having to remove all the decorations and plants just to prevent maturation.

How big is your tank? Can it support more adult fish? They can have a lot of fry that will grow quickly.
So if you can, try to have another tank on hand. Good luck.:eek:

Last edited:

Kris

New Fish
Apr 16, 2009
Hmmm, yah she is getting boxy looking by the hour.Well..... the gravid spot is getting more dots in it and it's growing closer to her anal fin, from what I've read this is a good sign.... I'm new at platy's:D

Thanks for all the compliments and help! Hopefully the babies are the same color as her........:)

TANKS - I have
- 1 20G with gourami and betta girls in it
- 2 10G - 1 empty - 1 she's in right now with 3 other platies
There's plenty of room for newbies, I purposely have both more bare for the babies :)

Last edited:

Kris

New Fish
Apr 16, 2009
Uhh my platy started giving birth I guess overnight, early morning. Anyway I saw a few fry and found her hiding, so I gently put her in the breeding trap [no nets]. And she looks pregnant still, not as round but VERY square.. But she's not popping any babies out, just pooping.....

Can platy just stop giving birth once they've started? She's still very pregnant cause her gravid spot is getting larger by the minute and taking on a new shape. I think the fry are hatching inside her but they're not coming out.

She's swimming up and down and backwards with her tail up, is this proper?

Thanks!

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
Well I'm not sure if they do a split-batch thing but you can expect to have more fry in about 2-3 weeks.

The swimming seems normal to me. I've seen it before in healthy fish. Usually indicates excitement from labor and/or stress. I'd take her out of the breeder and put her back in the main tank.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
check for the famous "gravid spot" near the anal fin. it can be anything from dark bloackis, to light yellow. on a red fish its gonna be hard to tell, but i believe it should be a darkening of the area close to the anal fin.
if its body has a "boxy" look to it then yes its very pregnant. looks fat and healthy to me lol

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Breeder's boxes are horrible for platy fry. Within a day of my platy having babies, 6 swam out of the box and were eaten by the other fish. I suggest a breeding net. There is a possibility that they can stress the fish out, but I've seen two of my fish give birth, and so far no problem.

Sep 24, 2009
england uk
what's this mr up too

this molly has been swimming round sucking on the bums of my other fish the pic shows how his fin stands on end now i was thinking maybe he is horny but he sucks on the boys bums too lol. now tis platy i think is pregnant this is an update of what it looks like now still fat but no off spring.

Attachments

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Yea it normal male behaviour: chasing and nipping others. idk why on the but tho lol. doesnt matter where to him i guess.

its kind of hard to tell with the female from that picture. try to shoot one from the underside of the platy as its turned toward you, like this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3183/2847683388_734cef428b.jpg?v=1221104599

it looks like its going to be this week, as far as i can tell. takes time.

Sep 10, 2014
Omgoodness where'd you get your Platy it's so pretty!!!*BOUNCINGS*SUPERSMIL*BOUNCINGS:D ooh so many smilies but I've been looking for that kind of Platy forever so it gets me and yes I think it might be just wait a little longer and some other peoples answers are really good but I really love that Platy!:p ha I just realized my post is a few years late and I just read the one about her getting square good luck with that though I'm so late though on this reply but really where'd you get your fish!

Last edited: