Platy Mating?

Well a couple of hours ago while i was observing my fish tank i noticed my male platy chasing my female platy that i just bought and put in the tank! He was moving the fin (i think anal fin) towards her area where the poop comes out and it kept hitting her there!! Is this a sign of platy mating!! I remember when my swordtails mated that my male swordtail swam backwards and poked his tail in her belly area!!! *DRUMMER*

Yup, they are getting it on. :D

Swordtails, platies, and most livebearers have the same type of male sex organ called a gonopodium. It's a modified anal fin, which is why the males look like theirs is always clamped and the females look normal.

When they mate, the male moves it in towards the female. When he's able to get it in, he deposits his sperm.

Actually, your male swordtail was just trying to line up his thing with her thing, he wasn't actually trying to hit her with his sword. I think swordtails are one of the few species of fish that are able to swim backwards and completely control themselves through turns, etc. Most fish can only swim backwards a little bit to get out of a cave or hole, etc.

Sounds like you will have a pregnant platy very quickly.

*celebrate

Last edited:
Yes, the platies will eat the fry as soon as they see them.

If you want to save the fry and raise them, you can get a breeding tank and remove the female as soon as she is done birthing. You can also get a breeding trap and it will do the same thing.

If you do want to raise them, make sure you have enough tank to take care of them. Otherwise, don't try to raise them, just let the other fish in the tank enjoy some live food. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Abercrombie6202
Also i'm jsut wondering? Why does my female always run away i have two female platies and they always run they don't stay still for my male!! Can they still have babies or is he just being really horny and she doens't want to get pregnate? Can u make them have babies? LOL
Why do the females run? Because your male is probably using some really bad pick up lines on them. :p
If they didn't run, he would be poking them every second of every day.

This is normal behavior. They will normally get pregnant and have fry every 30-45 days if everything in the tank is good.

Just enjoy watching the circle of life continue.