Platies and Guppies

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I just picked up a few Mickey Mouse Platies and fancy guppies to add some color to my tank.  The girl at the lfs told me that the one female guppy was pregnant.  I have read that the pregnant livebearers get a dark spot behind their belly,  I see a spot like this on the guppy and now I have noticed that the one platy has a spot like that too.

Now I am not sure what to do.  I only have a 20 gal tank and if they are both going to have fry, can my tank handle that??  I don't think so, but maybe someone else knows more.

I am not overly concerned about keeping all of the fry, although it would be neat.  

How can I tell when to put them in a breeding trap?

I am new at this breeding thing, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Oct 22, 2002
www.oarsa.org
I just wait until the female is going to have the fry and then put her in the breeding trap.  Most of the time the signs that they are going to have them soon are they hang out in the bottom corner of the tank, the male is chasing her around (often eating fry as they are coming out), etc.  You should be able to clearly notice when she is ready.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
I agree just wait until she is about to have the fish and then put the breeding trap in. I think your tank should be fine if there is plenty of cover the babies will survive.

Ryan ;D