Plants in an Oscar tank?

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Hmmmm.
Java fern attached to rocks or wood? Java moss maybe?

Not many fish eat java fern(scats do)so he wouldn't really eat it.Tie it to a rock or wood. I would be more concerned about him pulling the plant up. My Oscar also used to rearrange the decoration, gravel, and anything he liked.

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
:) I've heard about people potting their plants and putting them on the bottom before they add the gravel...does that work at all? I really don't want to spend 20$ on a java fern only to have it killed. :-[

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
My mom & dad had 2 oscars once and they didn't get there favorite food so they ripped the heater to shreads and evert single decoration they had in the tank too. They had plants but all were gone after their rampage. I wouldn't suggest plants but Barb was right about the java plants and tieing them down to something. So if you don't want to spend alot of money you maybe shouln't even get the oscar if you haven't. They are very tempermental as I mentioned. Well anyways I would just go with large rocks and wood that's what we got after they pratically destroyed the tank the first time and they were fine with that setup.

Ryan ;D

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I already have my oscar ryan...and i'm prepared to spend money on the necessities, i'm not going to spend that much on one plant. I already have the rocks and the wood too.

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I was thinking about getting some silk plants...but i can't find any tall enough for my tank. I'm going to try some potted val and see what happens.  :)