Planting My Tank

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
I tried to plant my 10g tank (has 1 male and 1 female mickey mouse platy and 1 female silver wag platy in it) but both of my female platies are eating the plants!! My male doesn't (he's too busy chasing my non-pregnant female) but my pregnant female and non-pregnant female eats the bulbs and live plants to nothing!! I don't know if I can place the plant bulbs in a breeder net to grow or what. Is there a way to stop this?

PS- How can I estimate the time that my platy will give birth? I got them all 2 weeks ago and the male never chased her. My guess is that she was already pregnant. But the question is, for how long has she been pregnant?

Kiara *GOLDFISH*

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
the platy should give birth within a month if she is in good healthy.

The plant issues is a tad odd because it sounds like they are not getting enough vegetable matter in their diet. do the bulb in the breeder net thing to protect the plant when it just sprouting, and also start feeding blanched vegetables to your fish. blanched= boiled for 2 min to soften it up. Romaine lettuce, spinach, cucumber, zucchini, also they could use some algae wafers, and they absolutely need food that has a main ingredient of spirulina to be in top shape. spirulina is very important for them.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Thanks Newman, but I feed my fish TetraMin Tropical Fish Flakes, TetraMin Pro Tropical Crisps, and frozen baby brine shrimp. I heard that fish like the inside parts of peas. Do i have to soften that up, or can I just squeeze the stuff out and plop them in? (Without the skin)

Feb 27, 2009
both of my female platies are eating the plants!! My male doesn't (he's too busy chasing my non-pregnant female) but my pregnant female and non-pregnant female eats the bulbs and live plants to nothing!!
What plants are they eating? It is unusual that they would eat an aquatic. If the plant is decaying, they are more likely to eat that portion.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
What plants are they eating? It is unusual that they would eat an aquatic. If the plant is decaying, they are more likely to eat that portion.
I have a huge Amazon Sword, but their not eating that too much...yet. It's aponogeton bulbs that they are attacking. I heard of other people with similar problems and now I'm not sure if they are growing or not.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Hello; I feed uncooked sweet peas from a can from time to time. A teaspoon full is about enough for the fish I have now. I either scoop a spoon full before cooking the rest for myself or put the rest of a small can in a clean jar in the fridge (stays good for many days). I have found that having a paper towel handy gives me a place to put the pea skins ( I pinch out the insides of a pea and wipe the skin on the paper towel.)

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; I used to throw the pea skins in after popping them. The skin sometimes would be around for days. Some fish pick at them and snails eat them. Do not know about the ottos from personal experience. I found that a tablespoon of peas will hold enough for a feeding and that wiping the skins on a paper towel keeps the tank less cluttered.

Dan Steveo

Large Fish
Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
Anyone know what foods are best? probs not the best place to post...

But i'm not sure what foods i should be giving my fish, mine love what i give them though, and i can't fault their colour, just wondering if there's something better though haha