Planting Amazon Sword

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Is this one of the plants that you plant in the substrate or do you anchor it so just the roots are in the substrate? There are no instructions on the container it came in and I am wondering if there is anything special of which I should be aware.

Feb 27, 2009
Well i new that, you said You never said that could it be planted on a rock or drift you said 2 different ways to plant in the substrate i said it dosent really matter which way you plant in the substrate
freash_water_monster, I never said anything about 2 different ways to plant. It was Thyra that had asked.

Is this one of the plants that you plant in the substrate or do you anchor it so just the roots are in the substrate?
I thought (perhaps I am wrong) that Thyra was asking if the Amazon sword should be planted directly INTO the substrate, or anchored to something (such as a rock or a piece of driftwood) which would allow the roots to be buried into the substrate over time. Since all of the plants that fall under the catagory of "Amazon sword" grow from a rosette and not a rhizome, it should be planted directly INTO the substrate, not anchored to something.

Be sure to put the entire tag so that its clear who you are quoting.

Last edited:

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Oh, you're not nosy, OC. I am always curious about things people are doing, too. For me, at this point in my life, some little things really become a "project". I like the idea of live plants, but haven't been totally successful. My source has been Petsmart which initially was a mistake. I did eventually buy some plants from an on-line source, but the shipping was as much as the plants and although they started out fine, only one survived. Anyway, I just wanted to do the best I could with this Amazon Sword. Thanks always for your help.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
lol, beware the root tabs! Most swords, amazon included, can get really really huge in tanks. I had one years back that almost took up half of a 40b. Pretty, but they are hard to scape around just due to the size. OC is right, the root tabs will help growth, but too much and you'll end up with a giant ;)

Planted tanks aren't that hard once you get the basics down. They need proper light, food and carbon. I'm too lazy for Co2, so I dose Excel for carbon. Depending on the size tank, you can DIY a nice LED light for under $50 that will grow anything you want. Start with simple plants, this way you can not only get used to messing with them, but it will also build your confidence up to try new and different things. It is the dark side of the hobby lol.