Plans for 10 gallon nano

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
That's not good (the water before adding the LR). What are the ammonia, nitrite and nitrates of the water you're using (before the salt)?

If it's going to be a fish-only tank, the nitrates will be OK (but not the ammonia).

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
That's not good (the water before adding the LR). What are the ammonia, nitrite and nitrates of the water you're using (before the salt)?

If it's going to be a fish-only tank, the nitrates will be OK (but not the ammonia).

Yeah, I know. Seems odd, since when I've tested the water from the tap before with my freshwater kit it was 0 for all the above. However, I have considered the possibility that this is the time of year that people fertilize for hay and other crops and I'm right in the middle of it all. Looks like I might have to start buying some RO water from the store after all since I do intend on having a reef set-up.

I need to recheck the water using the SW kit without the salt to have other comparisons, though.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If you're in an agricultural area, there will likely also be phosphates in your water, in addition to the nitrates, etc. I think RO water is going to be your best bet. Otherwise, you'll end up with algae soup and dead corals.

In a 10g tank, you really only need to do a 10% water change. If your LFS sells premade saltwater and RO water, it's probably worth buying from them. Otherwise, something like the Cullligan machine at the grocery store will work (assuming you don't want to buy an RO unit).

If you do go for an RO unit, you'll have the added advantage of making drinking water, without all the chemicals, for your family (just do RO, not DI for drinking water).

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Water parameters several hours after live rock was added on 8/8:

pH- 8.0
ammonia- .5
nitrite- .5
nitrate- 20

Yesterday (8/11/08) I bought 10 gallons of RO water. Switched out about 7 gallons of the 8 gallons that was in the tank.

tap water in tank (latest results):
ammonia- 0
nitrite- .25
nitrate- 20

RO water:
pH- 7.8
ammonia- 0
nitrite- 0
nitrate- 5.0

Today (8/12) I took a few pics:

Full tank shot (you can see the clam to the right of the Koralia about two inches from the top of the LR, under the light fixture cords)-

...and one from a slightly different angle-

With out a flash-

And here is a close up of the clam that is lodged in a hole-

This morning the temp was down to 81F but was back up to 84.5F at 7:00 PM (no lights were on and the house was about 77F). Isn't that a little too high? Stealth heater is set to 79F.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Thanks. It's not cheap, I can tell you that!

So far this is what I have bought:

*5 gallon bucket of salt, about 6 pounds of base rock, and 25 pounds of substrate- $40
*8 1/2 pounds of live rock- $65
*10g tank- $3
*tank stand- FREE!!! (but spent $2 on paint)
*light fixture, powerheads, refractometer, test kit, timer, heaters, etc. purchased from Big Al's- $227

Total so far is $337 (with the paint included). If you include the 5 gal water container ($10) and water I bought on Monday ($3.50) my total so far is $348 and some change.

I plan on saving up for a coral package ($130 with shipping), which will be many months from now. I also need to buy a fish or two and a clean up crew.

I predict I'll have at least $600 in this tank. Kinda makes that 55g planted tank I did look really cheap in comparison.

I really hope my wife doesn't find out about MFT. I'd hate for her to read this thread and find out how much I've spend so far on this nano tank.

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
That's a nice digital thermometer you have. I bought one just like it for my tank. Unfortunately I lost the suction cup for the display and so I had it sitting on the top of my tank. My arm bumped it and it sank to the bottom of the tank. Now it don't work anymore. I now have an analog thermometer.:(

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
$600.....okay now that isn't too bad. This is the marine aquarium gods way to teasing you into the hobby. $600 is just a start once MTS hits (multi tank syndrome) and you want to upgrade to a bigger tank.....then it really begins.

I think my 75g is the price of a nice toyota corolla right now.....and the 29g is the used car. Once you have MTS you won't even retain the cost amounts as it becomes totally mind boggling......oh and fwiw, your wife will eventually figure it out. This is not a cheap hobby and what looks cheap today will need to be upgraded or revamped or something later down the road......good luck and btw, it is a very rewarding hobby.....

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
$600.....okay now that isn't too bad. This is the marine aquarium gods way to teasing you into the hobby. $600 is just a start once MTS hits (multi tank syndrome) and you want to upgrade to a bigger tank.....then it really begins.

I think my 75g is the price of a nice toyota corolla right now.....and the 29g is the used car. Once you have MTS you won't even retain the cost amounts as it becomes totally mind boggling......oh and fwiw, your wife will eventually figure it out. This is not a cheap hobby and what looks cheap today will need to be upgraded or revamped or something later down the road......good luck and btw, it is a very rewarding hobby.....
Oh, believe me, I know all about MTS. :D Check out the link in my sig. I currently have 6 freshwater tanks running plus the new salt. I have two planted tanks (a 14g and a 55g). What I paid for the 55g tank and stand is nowhere close to what I paid for the light fixture and CO2 injection system.

Might as well spend my money on something I enjoy, right??

Quick question for you: what would be good to take care of an algae problem. I have some green hair algae that is starting to make a few pieces of my LR look like a lawn. Need help! So far the only critters in the tank are three hermit crabs.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Turbo snails are pretty good at getting rid of hair algae. To some extent, a little algae (or a lot) is all part of the cycling process in a new tank. For the first year or two, you can expect blooms of algae and various creatures (like pods) while the tank matures.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Turbo snails are pretty good at getting rid of hair algae. To some extent, a little algae (or a lot) is all part of the cycling process in a new tank. For the first year or two, you can expect blooms of algae and various creatures (like pods) while the tank matures.
I've read that somewhere (about having it in new tanks). I have fairly long strands of the stuff and in large patches. Other than the blooms, how long does an initial outbreak usually last?

I also read that the turbos and astrias are good. I was thinking about stopping by the LFS tomorrow and see if they had any left. The astrias in stock were already spoken for last week.

Maybe I can go out of town on the holiday and look for some if they don't...unless the hurricane hits.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
The problem with a lettuce nudi is that once the algae is gone they will starve.

I would seriously make sure you have no nutrients feeding it in fact if all you have are hermits are you feeding them?, if you are leaving town for the weekend turn the lights out and leave them off. What spectrum are the lights?

Increase the flow and get a good cleanup crew.